Vegan Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Creamy vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream made from raw cashews and coconut milk. Super refreshing and perfect to cool off with on a hot summer day!
I’ve been so excited to share this recipe with you guys!
I know, it’s kind of silly considering that there are probably over a thousand other vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream recipes on the internet. But I can’t help it. This is my first EVER batch of homemade ice cream and I am in LOVE.
It’s so creamy and dreamy and you would never know that there’s not an ounce of dairy in it.
I’m just kicking myself for not making it sooner. I won an ice cream maker from a giveaway on Julia’s blog last year and it was sitting in my dining room for almost 9 months before I finally cracked it open last week. It’s such a shame because it was so much fun to make and the result tastes way better than anything you can buy from the freezer section at the grocery store.
It’s super easy too! The hardest part is deciding what flavor to make first. Ultimately I went with mint chocolate chip because it reminds me of eating ice cream with my mom as a kid. It was her favorite kind and she would always share little bites with me. I’ll never forget how cool and refreshing the minty flavor tasted as it melted on my tongue!
Oh, that reminds me. While I was making this gorgeously delicious batch of mint ice cream, I did the dumbest thing on the face of the planet.
I licked the side of the churn bowl.
What happened next was similar to that scene in a Christmas story where they dare the kid to lick the pole except I didn’t have the fire department come to rescue me. Instead I pulled my head away as fast as I could and left several of my precious taste buds behind. Sigh…people like me are the reason you see all of those ridiculous warning labels on everything you buy.
So take my word for it, if you spill any of the liquid on the churn bowl as you pour the mixture in, DO NOT LICK THE BOWL.
Trust me, it’ll taste much better if you wait to lick the spoon. :)
1 and 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight (or for at least 6 hours)
1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk (full fat yields creamier results)
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave/honey)
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons peppermint extract
1/4 cup baby spinach
pinch sea salt
3/4 cups mini chocolate chips
- Transfer your ice cream churning bowl to the freezer to chill overnight. Then place the cashews in a shallow bowl and cover with several inches of water. Allow them to soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the soaked cashews then add them to a blender along with the coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, cane sugar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, salt and spinach. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes, until mixture is as smooth as possible, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Once mixture is smooth, place the blender in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow it to chill. Then pour it into the ice cream churning bowl and churn the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Mine took about 25-30 minutes.
- After the ice cream is firm enough, transfer it to a large freezer-safe container and smooth the top with a spoon. Seal the top tightly and freeze for 4-6 hours, or until firm.
- Allow to sit out for 15-20 minutes to soften before serving. Store in the freezer for up to 1 week.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker