Easy White Bean & Tomato Soup
This Easy White Bean & Tomato Soup is packed with protein and leafy greens. It comes together in just 30 minutes! (vegan + gluten-free)
If there were only two words to describe this time of year, they would be busy and cold.
Everyone is bundled up and on the move, decorating their houses and looking for presents. I’m one of those people who puts off the looking for presents until the last minute. Actually, I just stopped to look at the calendar and realized Christmas is only two weeks away…looks like I’ve got some work to do!
I’m sure most of you are better prepared than I am but are still in need of a few quick and easy dinner ideas to have on hand in the middle of all of the holiday fun. This soup is just that.
It comes together in thirty minutes and is loaded with healthy veggies, protein-packed white beans, and soothing tomato broth to help keep you warm and your immune system strong.
It’s one of my favorite recipes to add to the meal plan when it starts getting cold outside and I’ve made it so many times that I don’t even have to think about what I’m doing as I make it. It’s just that simple.
It’s hearty and leaves you feeling satisfied no matter what time of day it is.
I like to add fresh greens and usually choose swiss chard or kale but something like spinach would also make a nice addition. For the pasta, you could use your favorite gluten-free brand if that suits your diet or fun shapes to make it kid friendly too!
If you’re like me and are craving soup for every meal right now (except breakfast, of course…unless oatmeal counts as soup) then hopefully this recipe will come in handy for you. Here’s to staying warm and healthy!
2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1 (25 ounce) jar marinara or crushed tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch swiss chard/kale/spinach, destemmed and chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional-can add more/less to your liking)
1/2 cup dry whole grain elbows (or other bite size pasta)
- Start by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for five minutes.
- Then add the carrot, garlic, and seasonings (salt, pepper, and oregano) and continue to sauté for another five minutes.
- Add the kale to the pot and continue to cook until it starts to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the jar of marinara, vegetable broth, drained beans and red pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for ten to fifteen minutes. In the meantime, boil a pot of water to cook your pasta as directed.
- Once the pasta is done, strain the excess water and then add it to the pot with the soup. Stir until well-combined and serve!
*Pictures updated 12/1/15