Mexican Black Eyed Peas and Greens
Mexican Black Eyed Peas and Greens- hearty black eyed peas are infused with Mexican-inspired spices and served with healthy greens for good luck and fortune in the new year!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 large servings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 small bell peppers cored and finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños cored and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bunch dinosaur kale stem removed and finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- diced tomato, green onion and nacho cashew cream for topping
In a large skillet, warm 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt and cook for 3 minutes, until translucent.
Add the bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Stir to combine and continue to cook for about 3 more minutes.
To the skillet, add the kale. Cover with a lid and cook until wilted. Stir to combine. Add the drained black eyed peas, stir and cook until heated through.
Distribute in separate bowls garnished with cashew cream, avocado, green onion and diced tomato. Serve warm and enjoy!
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 620mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 22.9% | Vitamin C: 14.6% | Calcium: 4.5% | Iron: 6.2%