Dark Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
As soon as I hit publish on the last post, a monsoon came rolling in and stayed all night long. The hills almost instantly changed from yellow to green, making everything feel more lush and alive. And then there was the most beautiful rainbow on my drive to work this morning. You could see the entire length of it extending from one green hill to the other. It was perfect; such a nice way to start the day.
Almost as good as starting it with a soft and chewy oatmeal cookie…
You like that transition there, don’t ya?
I know I’m posting two chocolate recipes in a row but I couldn’t keep these to myself any longer. Just to give you some perspective, the recipe makes 33 cookies and they were all gone within one week. I could not stop eating them!
Bits of dried cherries and gooey chocolate chips are simply irresistible tucked inside of a thick, chewy oatmeal cookie.
What’s even better is that they’re made wholesome ingredients like oat flour, rolled oats, dried cherries, and maple syrup. Sounds like breakfast, right?
They certainly could be if you wanted them to but I found myself consuming them at all times of the day. I didn’t feel the least bit guilty about it either.
I actually froze most of them to save for later but then I kept defrosting four or five every other day to have more to eat. Looking back, it was kind of pointless for me to freeze them but just so you know, they do freeze well. You just have to defrost them for a little while so that you can flatten them.
I already have plans to make another batch this weekend but I’m going to try and make them last just a little longer this time. That’s my goal at least. We’ll see how it goes.
2 and 1/2 cups oat flour*
1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup maple syrup (or 1/3 honey if not vegan)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted (could sub butter if not vegan)
3/4 cup unsweetened dried cherries
3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then place the ingredients (oat flour to salt) in a large bowl, sift to combine and then set aside.
- Place wet ingredients (maple syrup to Earth Balance) in a medium size bowl and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet then fold in the chocolate chips and cherries. Continue to stir with a spoon until a uniform dough has formed.
- Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes, until it has firmed some, then roll it into large tablespoon sized balls and set on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If you like a thicker cookie, you can refrigerate them for several hours or freeze them before baking.
- If the cookies are firm and cool from refrigerating/freezing (defrost for a while if frozen), use a cup or other flat surface to press down on the cookie so that it flattens. Otherwise, if it is still soft, you can use your hand to gently flatten it. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until light golden brown. Allow to cool for at least ten minutes before serving.
*Be sure to use certified gluten-free ingredients for gluten allergies
Prep time doesn't include time to chill dough