Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Only one more day until spring! Shorts, sunshine, veggie burgers and chirping birds? Bring it!

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

What? Veggie burgers totally fit into that sentence.

So are you guys ready for spring or what? I might be excited for a few different reasons this year but there really is something about the extra sunshine that puts me in a good mood. Maybe because it makes it feel like there’s more time in the day? I’m not exactly sure, but I like it.

Except for that the fact that I haven’t fully adjusted to the time change. After I come home from the gym, I find myself doing little tasks here and there and the next thing I know, it’s 8:30pm and we haven’t had dinner yet. Whoops.

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Speaking of the gym, this was the about the time that I decided to give up my membership last year and I’m suddenly reminded why! It just feels too good out to be inside all.day.long.

Spring definitely makes me crave the outdoors. That and big, juicy veggie burgers…

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Okay, we both know it’s not juicy. Beans are never juicy. But you don’t have to have grease rolling down your chin to enjoy a good burger.

Spiced black beans with crunchy veggies and chewy brown rice will give you all the satisfaction you need.

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

I’ve actually never put rice in my veggie burgers until I tried Erica’s Buffalo Chickpea Sliders. I loved the texture of those burgers so much that I feel like it’s almost mandatory to add rice now.

The flavor in these burgers comes from tomato sauce, cumin, and last but not least, Harissa. It gives them just enough spice to wake up your taste buds.

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Brandon said if we have a girl (down the road, I’m not pregnant!) that we should name her Harissa. I’m not so sure about that one.

Even though it might not be my top runner for baby names, it makes for one mighty fine veggie burger!

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 10

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

Ingredients

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup cooked brown rice

6 green onions, chopped

1 red bell pepper, cored and diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup tomato sauce (could also use ketchup)

2 tablespoons Harissa (vary amount depending on your preference)

1 teaspoon Tabasco green pepper sauce (optional)

1 teaspoon cumin

2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water

1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

olive oil for cooking

Instructions

1. Combine water and flax together and allow to thicken while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Using a food processor (or a fork), process one can of the beans until chunky but not pureed then add it to a large bowl.
  3. Next, add the brown rice and green onion to the processor and pulse for about ten seconds, just long enough to slightly chop it then add it to the bowl with the beans.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix until well-combined.
  5. Using your hands, form the mixture into 10 separate patties and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so that they firm up some.
  6. When ready to cook, warm the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté for about 5 minutes on each side.
  7. Garnish with desired toppings and serve!

Black Bean Harissa Burgers

• Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps March 18, 2014, 7:17 pm

I agree, burgers don’t have to be greasy to be enjoyed!! These are the perfect spring opened! Mmmmm

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} March 18, 2014, 7:19 pm

Oh wow, these look fantastic! Just check out all the bright colors in the raw patties. YUM! Totally agree about adding rice now – mandatory! I haven’t made a black bean burger in ages and we will be trying these ASAP!
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Crispy Tofu Rice Bowls with the Best Thai Peanut SauceMy Profile

• Erin @ The Almond Eater March 19, 2014, 2:39 am

Ahhh these look amazing! I’m all about veggie burgers these days. I am very excited about spring, though I think it’s supposed to snow here this weekend….merp.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…WIAW: Healthy with a Side of PizzaMy Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 19, 2014, 4:11 am

It has been waaay too long since I had a veggie burger! Of course, these look awesome. Although I’ve never had Harissa – what is it, exactly?
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: St. Patrick’s Day.My Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food March 19, 2014, 6:18 am

I do love a good veggie burger, even though I’m not vegetarian. Sometimes it’s so much better to not have all that grease! I also love avocado on my burgers, so I’m glad you added that.
    I’m so excited for spring I can’t even tell you. We’ve had one of the worst winters I can remember in VA and I’m over it!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…WIAW- And yes, there’s wineMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat March 19, 2014, 6:42 am

These burgers sound so flavorful! I’ve never had or cooked with Harissa before. In fact, I’m not even sure I know what it is. Where in the store can I find it?
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #36 – Non-Traditional PizzaMy Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) March 19, 2014, 8:59 am

The time change is killing me! It’s still so painful to wake up at 6:15 and the moon is out and everything is pitch black! Before the time change I was waking up so easily. I know the extra light at night is nice, but it was still staying light pretty late. I’m a hater though. I just wish they would abolish the time changes.

These burgers look delicious! 2 weeks ago was the first time I put rice in my burgers and it works SO well!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Brew Review: Bridgeport Brewing Hop Czar {Citra Dry-Hopped}My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 19, 2014, 10:27 am

I’m not a fan of traditional burgers, but I do love a good veggie one. Can you believe that I’ve never made my own, though? I seriously need to get on that because you make it sound so easy!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW … meatless meals .My Profile

• Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ March 19, 2014, 12:22 pm

I love to experiment with veggie burgers, I made them 2-3 times only though (I’m slow, it take me ages to get the right consistency). In the end I always liked the outcome. Never added rice in the mixture, I will go for it next time.

p.s. Harissa sounds like a beautiful name!

• Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate March 19, 2014, 12:39 pm

I am always up for burger recipes- thanks girl!

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures March 20, 2014, 5:37 am

Gahhh those look so yummy!! I love black bean burgers and while they aren’t juicy, like you said, ha, they are even better!! I haven’t had a real burger in over two years and I’ve done just fine with black bean/veggie/quinoa burgers. In fact, I think they’re better! :) And YAY for spring being here!

• Melissa @ Nourish By Melissa March 20, 2014, 7:34 am

These burgers look incredible! I had a veggie burger out for dinner the other night and loved it! I definitely need to try one at home asap!

• Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness March 20, 2014, 11:19 am

I love spring and the longer days have been awesome. I totally agree with you about being outside. I haven’t been going to the gym all that much because I just want to go hiking every damn day!

I also am a big fan of homemade veggie burgers and haven’t made em in awhile – I think it’s time to bring it back!

• dishing up the dirt March 20, 2014, 8:32 pm

Cheers to spring and these lovley looking veggie burgers!!! Can’t wait to try them :)
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…Garlicky Kale and Farro Salad with Poached EggMy Profile

• Kathy @ Food Wine Thyme March 21, 2014, 9:09 am

What a coincidence, I have a black bean burger recipe today as well. :) Don’t think I’ve ever had Harissa but I don’t think you should name your daughter that ;) Looks delicious

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs March 21, 2014, 3:04 pm

I’ve never had rice in my burgers either, but it sounds like it’d add wonderful texture so I’m definitely tryying your recipe next time I make them! These look incredible and I’m so loving the harissa addition ;–)
    Hope you get to enjoy the nice weather and have a lovely weekend!
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…High Protein Chocolate MousseMy Profile

• marcie March 22, 2014, 11:27 am

I’m loving the sound of these veggie burgers – the harissa must give them such a nice kick! I’ve never made my own veggie burgers at home, and I need to give it a shot soon. :)
    marcie recently posted…Kale and Napa Cabbage Salad with Greek Yogurt DressingMy Profile

• Dearna @tohercore March 24, 2014, 3:31 pm

Would you please its near impossible to get canned black beans OR harissa in my city! I do have some dry black beans in the pantry though so I may have to cook them up to make these, they look so tasty (plus, the last time I made one of your burgers – the Mediterranean Chickpea burgers – they were a hit, so I hold you in high burger regard. if you say these are good, Im gonna have to try them! ;)
    Dearna @tohercore recently posted…Vegan soba noodle bowl with creamy peanut sauceMy Profile

• Jordan Lynn (Life Between Lattes) March 25, 2014, 9:00 am

Can I just say harissa is the best thing ever? Putting it in black bean burgers is blowing my mind. Looks delicious!