≡ Menu

The Nutcracker, Homeland and The Perfect Cookie

Happy Monday!! I wish I could say that I was at home in my PJs but I’m at work today. But I can’t complain; traffic was a breeze and I made it to work almost fifteen minutes early.

So the overwhelmed feeling definitely got the best of me this weekend. I avoided the stores like the plague and spent the majority of the time sleeping and watching Homeland. It was by no means a productive weekend, but you know what? It felt great.

San Ramon

Brandon and I had some quality time together so we took Coco for a long walk along Iron Horse Trail while soaking up the sunshine.

San Ramon

Later on we had a date night planned and Coco wasn’t too happy about being left out so she photobombed our self-timer shot…

b and s

For our date, Brandon surprised me with tickets to The Nutcracker and a fondue dinner. He’s been quite the romancer this year.

Nutcracker

Nutcracker

The ballet was followed by a cozy night on the couch with eggnog and multiple episodes of Homeland.

egg nog

We actually had a marathon over the weekend and watched the entire third season, hence the lack of productivity. This season was unbelievable.

homeland

Okay, so I am upset with the ending but I have a feeling that could change. The second you think you know what’s going on with this show, they throw a curve ball at you. I guess we’ll just have to see what season four brings!

Oh, and I was forced to make a batch of my favorite cookies {aka The Perfect Cookie} to have ready for me Santa on Christmas Eve…

the perfect cookie

I know, I said I was going to cut back on my sugar consumption but it’s still 2013. I’ve got time…and lots of cookies. Muahahaha!

For those of you with the whole week off, I’m so jealous but I hope you’re having fun and staying warm!

Have you seen Homeland?

Did you bake cookies this weekend?

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run December 23, 2013, 8:51 am

Great scarf! Where from? I love the Nutcracker, always gets you in the holiday spirit.

• Sarah December 24, 2013, 8:48 am

Thanks! :)
      I bought it on line a few years ago but it’s made by a brand called Love Quotes. They have so many pretty colors. Hope you have a nice holiday Hillary!

• Dana December 23, 2013, 9:27 am

No worries, I work all week too. Literally here just saving hours. This will be a sloooowww week indeed. I hope it flies!

I baked a lot of cookies last week and froze them. Can’t wait to assemble them and give to people tomorrow and on Christmas and of course saving some, for us. ;)
    Dana recently posted…Eggnog CookiesMy Profile

• Sarah December 24, 2013, 8:50 am

Your comment made me feel better about having to work, thanks! :)
      Enjoy those cookies and have a good Christmas!

• Chelsea@TableForOne December 23, 2013, 10:23 am

When I found my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, I just couldn’t make enough. I would take them to everyone I knew just so they could have a taste. There is something about gooey and soft chocolate chip cookies that make me smile.
    Chelsea@TableForOne recently posted…Festive Family FunMy Profile

• Sarah December 24, 2013, 8:50 am

Chocolate chip cookies are the best kind, in my humble opinion. :)

• Christie @ Kisses and Kale December 23, 2013, 10:48 am

Looks like such a fun weekend. :) We went to go see the Nutcracker this weekend too and I loved it!
    Christie @ Kisses and Kale recently posted…Marvelous in My MondayMy Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 23, 2013, 11:29 am

While I didn’t bake any cookies this weekend, I’ve certainly been eating the ones from last week ;-) I’ve never actually seen a live production of the nutcracker, but I can imagine that it was awesome!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Elf for Health Week 4 Recap + Final Thoughts.My Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) December 23, 2013, 1:36 pm

My weekend was pretty lazy too. David and I started watching American Horror Story on Netflix — so weird and good but scary!

I also made cookies for a dinner party on Saturday. I made snickerdoodles, but they were definitely not the healthy kind…

Sometimes lazy weekends are a must, especially when you have to work the week of Christmas.
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Spinach Artichoke White Bean ChiliMy Profile

• Ang @ Nutty for Life December 23, 2013, 3:40 pm

I vaguely remember seeing The Nutcracker ballet several years ago. Recently I realized that I want to see it now, when I can keep a better memory of it. Plus, a night out on the town to see a ballet sounds like a blast! The stores I went to were seriously packed so it’s prob best that you avoided shopping!
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Marvelous Merriment [#MIMM 19]My Profile

• Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate December 23, 2013, 6:02 pm

Beautiful pictures and views! I hate to admit but I thought that the finale of season 3 of Homeland was the series finale!! It just seemed like it had nowhere to go after the last episode! I love the show though!

• Sarah December 24, 2013, 8:52 am

It did seem like the series finale! I agree that it’s seems lost from here but that’s what makes me think they’re trying to trick us. At least, that’s what I hope. :)

• Julia December 23, 2013, 8:28 pm

I’ve never seen homeland, but I love becoming viciously addicted to television shows and watching them in marathon sequences. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I’ll definitely give Homeland a shot and let you know what I think!
    Julia recently posted…Gluten Free Gingerbread CookiesMy Profile

• James December 23, 2013, 8:44 pm

Just started the first season of homeland! So addicting. It will probably end up consuming my entire break ha.

• Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie December 24, 2013, 5:13 am

That looks like a fun date night! I love some good fondue.

I need to get on my cookie baking today! “Santa” will not be happy if there are no cookies.
    Stacie @ Simply Southern Stacie recently posted…Christmas in the City Day One: Friends and PhantomsMy Profile

• Nicole @ Quest for Balance December 24, 2013, 6:14 am

Homeland is amazing! I was a little surprised by the season finale as well but I’m sure they have something crazy in store. I just started watching the series a few weeks ago and pretty much had to cancel all my plans so live on my couch for a bit because I couldn’t stop watching it. You really are on the edge of your seat at all times.

I’m with you on cutting back on sugar. But that is totally an after Christmas challenge. Have to enjoy the holidays while you can since they only come around once a year. I’ve also been baking up a storm. So fun!
    Nicole @ Quest for Balance recently posted…Quinoa with Roasted Root Vegetables, Scallions, Parsley and PecansMy Profile

• Sarah December 24, 2013, 9:18 am

It is so addicting!! The writers said it was necessary to end things like that in order to keep the show alive but I’m reeeallly hoping they’re just trying to fool us.

• Consuelo @ Honey & Figs December 24, 2013, 7:23 am

Yes, I’ve been baking cookies like crazy this weekend! I’m not kidding when I say that I’ve probably used more than 1kg of butter ;–) But it’s 2013 anyway, right?
    Have a nice holiday! xo
    Consuelo @ Honey & Figs recently posted…Greek Yogurt Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

• sonia the mexigarian December 24, 2013, 8:13 am

Love the Nutcracker. I would want to take Eric to see it, but he’s not a fan of ballet. Unless it has lasers or something. haha.

I haven’t baked a single cookie yet. :( time has gotten away from me.

I haven’t seen Homeland, but I am loving the Blacklist. I have a not so secret crush on James Spader. He’s such a fun actor.
    sonia the mexigarian recently posted…Race Recap: California International MarathonMy Profile