≡ Menu

Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

I’m totally cheating with this recipe today. It’s pretty much the exact same thing I posted last week but in muffin form. I know.

This is what happens when you work full time, spend all day at a wine/tomato festival on Saturday and then have a picnic to attend the next day. It doesn’t leave much time for experimentation in the kitchen.

Since the picnic was kind of like a potluck {which Brandon waited to tell me until the day before}, I didn’t have time to come up with something new so my skinny pumpkin loaf recipe came to mind. I thought muffins would be better for a potluck so I made them with cream cheese swirled into the center instead of just the top.

Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

They worked out nicely and I would love to tell you that everyone swooned over these muffins at the picnic but that didn’t exactly work out as planned.

You see, as we were leaving my debit card managed to jump out of my purse and hide, causing us to spend a good twenty minutes searching the entire house before deciding to just go ahead and leave. After packing Coco up in the backseat, I spent the next ten minutes on the phone, cancelling my card and requesting a new one while we sat in bumper to bumper to traffic on the highway. Then, once I finally managed to get off the phone, Brandon tells me he emailed me the link to the address for the picnic and that I need to pull it up to find directions to where we’re going.

For some reason, the link he sent only gave me the name of the city and no address for the destination. So then he asks me to look up one of his friend’s phone number to ask for directions {whose number I don’t have in my phone} which results in me scolding him for not writing down the address or having his own cellphone to look up said numbers with. Oh, have I not mentioned that…?

HE DOESN’T HAVE A CELL PHONE!!!

Anyway, after a few seconds of me complaining, he turned the car around and we went home. Yep, the pumpkin muffins never made it to the picnic.

Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

However, he did bring them to work two days later and according to him, everyone loved them.

Skinny Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

• 1/8 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Makes 12 muffins

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and sift dry ingredients (from all purpose flour to pumpkin pie spice) together in a large bowl then set aside.
  2. Combine wet ingredients (from eggs to canola oil) in a separate large bowl and stir until mixed well.
  3. Add 1/3 of the dry mixture at a time to the wet mixture while stirring just until combined. Try not to over-stir.
  4. Grease a muffin pan and divide batter until each is about 1/3 of the way full.
  5. Make the cream cheese swirl by combining all of the ingredients and beating on high for one minute. It just be slightly fluffy and thick.
  6. Drizzle a tablespoon of the mixture into the center of the loaf and swirl with a knife into the batter. Top with just enough batter to cover the cream cheese and then swirl about a teaspoon into the top (optional step).
  7. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes (cooking time may vary). Stick a toothpick or knife in the center and if it comes out clean then they are done. Allow to cool for five to ten minutes before serving. They can be refrigerated in air tight container for up to 3 days.

As you can see, I’m short on pictures for this post as I was rushing to leave on time and didn’t want to serve anyone muffins that already had a bite taken out of them. ;) But I know some of you said that you didn’t have a mini loaf pan so I thought I would share incase you wanted to try the muffin version.

Since there isn’t an Aggie game tomorrow, we’re heading to San Francisco to run a few errands so wish me luck on finding parking! :/

Do you know anyone who doesn’t have a cell phone?!

Do you have a muffin pan?

• Lisa October 3, 2013, 8:38 pm

I am all over this recipe! There’s nothing better than pumpkin muffins!
    If I had to choose a favourite I’m pretty sure they’d win!
    Lisa recently posted…What You Allow, Will ContinueMy Profile

• Kendall October 3, 2013, 9:37 pm

OMG you are the first person I have met/heard of whose boyfriend also doesn’t have a cell phone!!! We have been dating a total of 5 years…and for the past 3 years he has not had a cell phone. Thankfully there have not been many situations in which he needs one. Like your situation, I would have been so upset and irritated! A positive of my boyfriend not having a cell phone though is that when we are together/out to eat, he is 100% present and paying attention to ME and not his cell phone like I see many others doing. What does your boyfriend say to people when they ask why he doesn’t have a cell phone? I think my bf will get one within the next year when his job will require one, but right now he prefers and feels he doesn’t need the technology.

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:08 am

Well, how about that?! I thought I was the only one. :)
      Brandon has never had a cell phone but I agree, it is nice not to have that distraction when we’re together. His response is usually, “because I don’t need one”…ha! Yeah, because he relies on me or whatever friend he is with at the time to use theirs! Pssh.

I thought he would get one after he graduated and got a job but his current employer doesn’t allow them to use cell phones at work so that went out the door!

• Sharon October 3, 2013, 9:42 pm

I do not have a cell phone … I know :)
    Sharon recently posted…Strategies for Managing StressMy Profile

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:09 am

See, when you tell me that, I admire you for it. But when it’s your significant other, for some reason that changes things. :)

• Sharon October 3, 2013, 9:46 pm

… and … those muffins look freakin’ amazing!
    Sharon recently posted…Strategies for Managing StressMy Profile

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green October 4, 2013, 2:32 am

Haha I laughed out loud with this one. Sounds like the typical car ride with me, Grant, and Cooper. We both have cell phones (I actually have another one for work too) but I am always the one to blame if something goes wrong with the directions. This recipe looks amazing! Just as good – if not better – than the loaves!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Engagement Party Invite & Blogger Meet UpMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 4, 2013, 3:34 am

Ohhhh yum — you can never go wrong with pumpkin, and I’m loving the cream cheese swirl!

I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t have a cell phone, actually… Up until about a year ago, my mom didn’t have one, but then even she bit the bullet and now she won’t stop texting me :P
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. scenes and thoughts from the road .My Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables October 4, 2013, 3:51 am

Yummm! These sound so good!

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven October 4, 2013, 4:03 am

I was planning to make the mini loaves this weekend in muffin form! But you conveniently made the conversion easier for me. Also I mean this in the least stalkerish way possible but I really love your blog. I get giddy when my bloglovin updates and you’re there. Just thought you should know in case people don’t tell you enough! Keep it up :) Happy Friday!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…The Definition of InsanityMy Profile

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:11 am

Thanks yo so much, Davida! Your comment brought a big smile to my face. :) Happy Friday!

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 4, 2013, 4:06 am

Cannot go wrong with pumpkin muffins! And no, I definitely do not know anyone (under the age of like, 12) that doesn’t have a cell phone. Eric and I, my brother, and my parents all don’t even have landlines anymore, because we only use our cells!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Five Things Friday 10/04/13.My Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat October 4, 2013, 4:40 am

I think I might love the idea of these in muffin form than in a bread form. I just like the idea of muffins. They’re easy to grab and go in the morning. They sound so amazing!!!

Nope, I definitely don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a cell phone. These days it seems like everyone has one, even little kids.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Total Body Pilates DVD ReviewMy Profile

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life October 4, 2013, 5:07 am

Oh my goodness these look amazing! Anything pumpkin+ ‘skinny’ is okay in my book! Love that you used molasses in the ingredient list too, very fall in my opinion!

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures October 4, 2013, 5:39 am

OMG how traumatic! I would be so overhwelmed that I would have eaten those muffins in the car before the decision was made to go home! Oh my goodness! And I’m sorry, can you dedicate a portion of a post to explaining why he doesn’t have a cell phone? I’m curious as to how that’s possible in today’s world… LOL, but also, I’m jealous! Sometimes I want to throw mine out the window forever! And then I remember I have no life and I need it to pretend I have a life and it’s back to being stuck on my hand. Anyway, this recipe isn’t cheating – I’ll take any form of pumpkin + cheesecake, thank you very much! They’re just as cute as the bread!
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…GloriousMy Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) October 4, 2013, 5:44 am

I do know 1 person who doesn’t have a cell phone. My great aunt in her seventies, but even her older sister (my grandmother) does. haha. I definitely would have been irritated in that situation too.
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Random Thoughts ThursdayMy Profile

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:13 am

Yep, my grandmother has one too! He’s the only person I know who doesn’t!

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food October 4, 2013, 5:45 am

Who doesn’t have a cell phone?! Haha that must have been so frustrating! Those muffins look awesome, though!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…A Half Day and a WeddingMy Profile

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 4, 2013, 6:18 am

My mom used to always make chocolate cream cheese muffins when I was a kid, but pumpkin sounds even better!
    Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted…What I Ate This Week | Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Are Your New Favorite SnackMy Profile

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:13 am

Oh, I don’t know about that one. Chocolate cream cheese muffins sound pretty amazing!

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies October 4, 2013, 6:32 am

I was without a phone for less than a full day when mine broke, and I was pretty sure the world was ending. While it’s terrible inconvenient, I bet it’s a little freeing to not be reachable 100% of your day. Plus he saves like $70 a month! (Which means more presents for you? I’d demand it.)
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Caesar Salad DressingMy Profile

• Sarah October 4, 2013, 8:15 am

I know, I would die without mine too. And true, he does save money. Maybe I will demand a $70 present every month from now on! ;)

• Ashlee@hisnHers October 4, 2013, 6:54 am

Woohoo! I was JUST thinking on my drive to work this morning about how I wanted to make the loaves this Sunday….but I couldn’t figure out if it would work as one big one in my loaf pan. This solves my predicament because I DO have muffin tins :-)
    Ashlee@hisnHers recently posted…A Place for Runners to Feel Better About ThemselvesMy Profile

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance October 4, 2013, 6:57 am

How does he not have a cell phone!? I literally couldn’t imagine not even having a smartphone. Yikes! But good for him for being “unplugged.” I think this muffins look delicious! :)
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Friday’s Food and Fitness: Physique 57 & Barre ClassesMy Profile

• Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries October 4, 2013, 7:23 am

Oh man! What an ordeal! I can’t believe he doesn’t have a cell phone. At least the muffins turned out beautifully! I love that you recycled the recipe too. :-)
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Target Practice Friday #13My Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness October 4, 2013, 7:26 am

He doesn’t have a cell phone? I know lots of people, including myself, who don’t have home phones but can’t think of anyone without a cell. My mom might as well not have a cell with the amount that she uses it. It’s dead 60% of the time and the rest of the time she just never bothers to answer.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…first day nervesMy Profile

• Suzanne @ Mixitmom October 4, 2013, 8:36 am

I thought my husband was crazy because he has no Facebook page but wow, Brian takes the cake(or muffin in this case!!) with no cell phone!! Has he ever had one? I’m still trying to wrap my brain around it…..

The pumpkin muffins look fabulous!!! I need to try the cream cheese swirled into them thing!!
    Suzanne @ Mixitmom recently posted…I Win at the Mom FailMy Profile

• Erin @ The Almond Eater October 4, 2013, 8:38 am

If my boyfriend didn’t have a cell phone I would probably buy him one of those trac phones. Surprise! These muffins look delish!
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Tips for a Successful Long Distance RelationshipMy Profile

• Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} October 4, 2013, 8:46 am

Whaaaat, your husband doesn’t have a cell phone? Crazy talk! How do you ever meet up with him? You have the patience of a saint, because that would drive me crazy. In any case, these muffins look fantastic, and your pictures are gorgeous! Have a great weekend :)
    Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} recently posted…Vegan Chocolate Coconut Pudding with Coconut Caramel SauceMy Profile

• Carly @ Snack Therapy October 4, 2013, 9:05 am

Hahaha, I remember you telling me in SF that Brandon doesn’t have a cell phone. I would die, but good for him! I bet he’s much more productive than us smart phone-addicts.

But, these muffins are gorgeous. I want a cream cheese swirl through the center of my life.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Let Me Count the WaysMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine October 4, 2013, 9:23 am

Wait, how can you not have a cell phone? How do you call him if you have an emergency and he’s driving? Before you get knocked up, he better increase his tech-savvy self – just get a plain ol’ flip phone! ;)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Let’s Visit Nashville!My Profile

• Nicole October 4, 2013, 9:53 am

Wait what?! I had to reread this because I couldn’t believe that your hubby doesn’t have a cell phone! HA. I have so many questions about this — a big one being how do you guys talk when he’s out of the house? Just through email? Or telepathy?!

Sorry your muffins didn’t make it to the picnic – they’re beautiful!
    Nicole recently posted…An Afternoon at Seattle’s Pike Place MarketMy Profile

• Ashley October 4, 2013, 10:11 am

I can’t believe he doesn’t have a cell phone! I mean what does he do??? haha I just can’t imagine not having mine! These muffins sound delicious by the way – and that swirl – so pretty!
    Ashley recently posted…Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee SyrupMy Profile

• Luv What You Do October 4, 2013, 3:45 pm

Even my 101 year old grandpa has a cell phone : )
    These muffins look SO amazing!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…My Crockpot is my Sous ChefMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 4, 2013, 6:14 pm

Amazing as always my dear!! Love these, they look super tasty and I love that swirl look of the cream cheese through them.

Now can you just post some to me? ;)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Brown Rice BitesMy Profile

• Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ October 5, 2013, 1:59 am

Never baked anything with pumpkin. I believe it’s now time for me to experiment more with it. These are the most beautiful muffin I’ve seen in a while! Whether shaped as a muffin or as a bread, I bet the batter is simply good.
    Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ recently posted…Dried Apricots and Tahini Energy BallsMy Profile

• Alex @ Kenzie Life October 5, 2013, 8:08 am

My uncle refused to get a cell phone for years, and it wasn’t until last year that my cousin (his son) finally bought him one. I’m pretty sure it’s still in the package and never been used!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…The Time I Met Marianne WilliamsonMy Profile

• Tara October 5, 2013, 9:11 am

I totally agree with Davida, but the only bad thing about having you on my Bloglovin is that I always read your post at night and forget to comment in the morning! I wanted to tell you that my boyfriend does little stupid things like that all the time and I can’t help but get upset when I know I could just simmer and relax. Boys are such turds!
    Tara recently posted…ConfessionsMy Profile

• Katherine October 6, 2013, 9:44 am

Muffin and skinny in the same title? Not to mention pumpkin? I’m sold! These look so marvelous! I just love a good muffin in the fall! My Grandma never had a cell phone, and now she has two. She’s quite the emojii lover!
    Katherine recently posted…Homemade Hummus!My Profile

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 6, 2013, 10:55 am

Loving everything about these muffins and since they’re skinny.. I will eat a few! :)
    Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted…Get Your Herbs OnMy Profile

• MoonLight @ AWorldInMyOven October 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

Aww, look on the bright side: you’ve got these gorgeous looking muffins all to yourself! Next time you forget an address you should totally stop by my house.. – Yep, these muffins are so going to be made!
    MoonLight @ AWorldInMyOven recently posted…Yeast – My new Pet FriendMy Profile

• Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 7, 2013, 1:20 am

Let me see…if I think really hard, I’m sure I can….MY GRANDMA! She doesn’t have a cell phone! But umm, well…she’s also pushing 70, can’t drive, and lives with my uncle! Haha! What a story behind these little beauties! And I have to say I’m shocked they made it two days to make it to the office! Lol
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Confessions…My Profile