≡ Menu

Black Eyed Pea Dip

I promise I’m not purposely holding out on the excitement from the weekend; I have just been super busy and haven’t had a chance to get things together yet. Trying to maintain my normal routine while taking a weekend away has proven to be more difficult than I had hoped but all of the juicy details will be on here soon so keep an eye out!

In the meantime, I have another recipe to share with you that’s perfect for football season. Brandon and I enjoyed it while watching the Aggies almost beat Alabama the weekend before last. Grrr…

Black Eyed Pea Dip 5

Anyway, I know a lot of families traditionally cook black eyed peas for New Years because they’re supposed to bring you good luck and all that jazz. Yeah, my family never did that.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 6

Still, I find myself intrigued by black eyed peas and occasionally try to experiment with new recipes that feature them. Last year, I made Hoppin’ John for New Years for the first time and we both loved it. With Hoppin’ John and football season in mind, I thought to create a dip using similar flavors and it turned out to be a hit.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 8

It was surprisingly tasty and filling. Plus, it’s full of healthy protein from the black eyed peas and Greek yogurt. It’s basically guilt-free.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 3

Pair it with tortilla chips and a cold beer and you’ll be set for kickoff!

Black Eyed Pea Dip

Ingredients

• 1 cup dried black eyed peas, soaked overnight (yields 3 cups cooked)
  • 6 ounces (3/4 cup) plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup mild salsa
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha, or other hot sauce
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 6 green onions, diced
  • 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
  • 1 and 1/2 cups shredded monterrey jack cheese, or cheddar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Makes approximately 6 servings

Directions

Drain and rinse black eyed peas then place in a medium size saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Simmer on low for thirty minutes.

Next, Preheat oven to 350°F. Once black eyed peas are tender, drain excess liquid and place into a large bowl. Mash peas with a fork until a slightly chunky texture is achieved.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 9

Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 10

In a greased 9 x 9” baking dish, spread the dip out until it is evenly distributed. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until the top is light golden brown.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 7

Serve warm with your favorite chips and dig in!

Black Eyed Pea Dip

The back eyed peas and yogurt give this dip plenty of substance while the salsa and Sriracha kick the flavor up a few notches. Oh, and we can’t forget about the crunchy corn and gooey cheese.

Black Eyed Pea Dip 0

By the way, did you notice my hand model?

Brandon was kind enough to assist me with my shoot before the game.

Bran

Actually, it was as the game was starting and he was still patient enough to pause it and help me out. Isn’t he the sweetest?

Oh, and thank you for the birthday wishes yesterday! It was one of the best I’ve ever had.

Do you eat black eyed peas for New Years? What’s your favorite black eyed pea recipe?

• hillary | nutrition nut on the run September 23, 2013, 7:36 pm

unique recipe. i don’t think i’ve seen a black eyed pea dip before. sounds hearty!

• Lisa September 23, 2013, 8:29 pm

This sounds so yummy!
    I love that you used black eyed peas. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever used them in a recipe before!
    Lisa recently posted…Lovely Little ThingsMy Profile

• Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries September 23, 2013, 8:37 pm

This dip looks freaking amazing!!! FYI, my Brandon (aka the Bear) is always willing to lend a helping hand when it comes to dip too. ;-)
    Jillienne @ ChasingRaspberries recently posted…Mt Baldy Hiking AdventuresMy Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 24, 2013, 3:55 am

This looks awesome! I’m pretty sure I’ve had about every kind of bean in a dip except for black eyed peas. But anything with the addition of corn, cheese and salsa instantly gets my attention! ;-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Why I Stopped Hormonal Birth Control.My Profile

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness September 24, 2013, 4:12 am

ahh i missed the birthday- HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! and this dip looks like heaven in a ramekin. congrats to brandon on booking his first hand modeling gig- he’s a natural!
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Food Trends & BuzzwordsMy Profile

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 24, 2013, 4:38 am

I actually don’t think I’ve ever tried black eyed peas before! This recipe looks right up my alley and nice and healthy too! Also, I’m a total bum and didn’t wish you a Happy Birthday yesterday. So Happy Birthday!
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Eats Lately + A New Zumba Video!My Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 24, 2013, 5:17 am

To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever actually eaten a black eyed pea before! This recipe looks AMAZING though and while I have never and never plan to watch football it’s not going to stop me from eating this!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Baked Cinnamon Apple ChipsMy Profile

• Angela @ Health's Angel September 24, 2013, 5:42 am

I’ve never had black eyed peas before, actually. Whatever tortilla chips you used look so, so good! I’ve been all about the salty lately. :)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted…Turning Into a Little BeastMy Profile

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures September 24, 2013, 6:13 am

This sounds wonderful! I am not a huge fan of corn so I could omit that and still retain the flavor, I think! Though, it wouldn’t be as pretty! :) Haha!
    Oh my, what a great hand model you have there! And a sweet man – willing to pause the game!
    I’ve never done the black eyed pea thing either girl, are we related?? Haha, I kid, but I don’t think I’ve really had black eyed peas unless they were disguised in a dish or something… I love beans though, so I’m sure I’d be hooked on this dip (beans and cheese and spicy? I’m in love.).
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…S’ghetti So Good!My Profile

• Ashlee@hisnHers September 24, 2013, 6:17 am

I have never liked black eyed peas but I think I would make an exception for this dip. It looks delicious! And Happy Birthday!!

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) September 24, 2013, 6:17 am

I’m all about dips right now for the football season. This looks delish! I’ve never had the tradition of eating black eyed peas for New Years. I had only heard about that tradition through blogging. haha.
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Pesto Kale Sweet Potato PizzaMy Profile

• Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers September 24, 2013, 6:24 am

This looks great! I often overlook black eyed peas, but they’re quite tasty.
    Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers recently posted…34-Week Growing PainsMy Profile

• Carly @ Snack Therapy September 24, 2013, 6:31 am

I never really eat black eyed peas, but feeeeed me please!
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Rome: What We DidMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 24, 2013, 7:48 am

I don’t think I have ever had black eyed peas. I have seen them in a few soups at restaurants but never ordered one. This dip sounds good though, it might be a good way to try the peas!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…study distractionsMy Profile

• Christa @ Situps & Sequins September 24, 2013, 10:24 am

This dip looks great! I will definitely be using this for a tailgate or two this year!

And if only I had a dollar for every time I made someone stop with their food halfway to their mouth so I could take a picture… ;)

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 24, 2013, 11:36 am

This dip looks fantastic! I love all the fresh veggies! I don’t think I’ve ever eaten black eyed peas before, but they certainly look tasty in the dip!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday #1My Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 24, 2013, 11:49 am

This sounds amazing!! I absolutely adore black-eyed peas…and that is something that I never though I would say ;).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Treat Yourself Tuesday: A Weekend with My DadMy Profile

• Alex @ Kenzie Life September 24, 2013, 2:14 pm

I’ve never really had black eyed peas in anything before. I’m not a fan of them on their own but this dip looks really good! My family never did black eyed peas for New Years….my mom is Romanian so for New Years there’s just a lot of really loud Romanians speaking Romanian eating cabbage off of silver spoons at midnight–it’s supposed to bring good luck or something also. Yes, we’re weird.
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…On Knowing Your Worth…And Acting On It!My Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine September 24, 2013, 4:08 pm

First of all, I missed your birthday :( :( :( I feel awful! I hope it was a great one! Secondly, this dip looks amazing. I bet it would be awesome in a wrap for a quick lunch! (Or maybe I am just weird…)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#3 Treat Yourself Tuesday {TYT}My Profile

• Sarah September 24, 2013, 7:29 pm

Don’t feel bad Becky! It was on Friday and I only mentioned it at the end of my post yesterday so it’s not a big deal! Thank you though! :)

You’re not weird at all- that is a fantastic idea! I wish I had some leftover for lunch now.

• Sara @ Fit.Fun.Femme September 25, 2013, 2:31 pm

I am so sad that I missed your birthday yesterday! Hope it was filled with lots of yummy food, love and laughter :).

This dip…I’m obsessed already. It has all the things that I love and it’s guilt-free. Making this on Saturday while watching the Noles for sure. And you definitely have a sweet man – pausing the game…I am quite sure mine would not have done the same :).

• Sarah September 25, 2013, 8:34 pm

Don’t be sad Sara! It was actually on Friday but I only mentioned it yesterday so it wasn’t a big deal. Thank you though, it was most certainly filled with all of those!

I’m sure your man would do the same! :)

• Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens September 28, 2013, 7:58 am

Hey, Sarah! First of all – happy belated! I’m a September birthday girl, too! And about this dip … I really and truly wish I was eating it right now! I’m sitting in the car, waiting at my daughter’s cross-country practice with nothing but some luke-warm coffee and outdated, prepackaged peanut butter crackers (they’re whole grain, though! :D ). Oh, what I would give for the ooey-gooey goodness of this dip … I totally know what my Romeo and I need to nosh on tonight after we tuck the kiddos in bed!