≡ Menu

Quick n’ Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Who’s in the mood for a little comfort food?

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Oh, that rhymed. I’m so fancy.

Mashed potatoes are easily one of my favorite comfort foods; I love the rich and creamy texture paired with the flavors of garlic, salt and pepper. Somehow, they always manage to hit the spot and make my belly feel all happy and warm inside.

Now I don’t discriminate when it comes to what kind of potatoes to mash but for some reason I always find myself reaching for red potatoes. I think it’s because I read somewhere that they are higher in vitamins and minerals than the other varieties.

Quick n Healthy Mashed Potatoes (60)

But there’s also a good chance that I just made that up.

Well, if you’re like me and work more than you care to, then you probably don’t have much time to slave over side items for dinner during the week.

Sure, food connoisseurs might snicker at my recipe but when it comes to being short on time, I take what I can get. And with a total of six ingredients and less than ten minutes of hands on time, I’d say these mashed potatoes are pretty darn awesome.

Quick n Healthy Mashed Potatoes (69)

Not to mention healthy. You know that’s how I roll.

Want to see how easy they are to make? Okay, here it goes. {start your timers!}

I start by washing the potatoes and cutting off any gnarly spots. Then I dice them up and place them in a large microwaveable bowl covered with a damp paper towel and microwave them for about ten minutes, until they are soft enough to take out my daily aggression on mash.

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes

After they are mashed, I add the Greek yogurt, butter (I use Earth Balance), and milk then continue to mash and mix together with a fork until they are nice and creamy. Then I add the seasonings to taste and set the potatoes aside until the rest of the meal is close to being done.

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes 1

Finally, I reheat them in the microwave for one to two minutes so that they are nice and hot when the rest of the meal is ready.

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes 3

Blammo. Quick, healthy and oh so comforting.

Quick n’ Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 6 red potatoes (or three of a larger variety of potatoes), washed and diced
  • 3/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup nonfat milk
  • 2 tablespoons Earth Balance (or butter)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Place washed and diced potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 7-10 minutes, until potatoes are soft enough to mash.
  2. Roughly mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher then add Greek yogurt, milk and butter. Continue to mash and stir together until a thick and creamy consistency has formed.
  3. Season potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Try not to eat the whole batch before serving.
  4. Microwave for another minute or two and fluff with a fork before serving.

Total time: 20 minutes (10-12 cooking time)

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes 4

I’m sure some people out there might be funny about eating the skins of potatoes but it really saves so much time to leave them on. Plus, the skin is where all of the healthy stuff is!

Quick n' Healthy Creamy Mashed Potatoes 5

Nom.

On a separate note, I drank kombucha again for the first time in years for lunch today and it gave me a buzz. I had no idea there was alcohol in kombucha! I was a sloppy mess after lunch, it was ridiculous.

I’m only kidding. I’m not that big of a lightweight. But it did make me feel a little woozy and then really tired after. Kombucha drinkers…does it make you tired after you drink it?

Anyway, it was better than the last time I had it and I think I’ll try it again.

Oh, hey, guess what? Friday’s almost here!

What’s your favorite comfort food?

Do you like skins in your mashed potatoes?

• Alexis @ Hummusapien September 10, 2013, 7:00 pm

These look SO simple and SO delish. Totally making soon!

• Alex @ Kenzie Life September 10, 2013, 7:21 pm

Ok we are definitely on the same wave length! I just made almost the exact same recipe last week but used garlic cloves instead of powder and lactose-free cottage cheese instead of greek yogurt! It was so good! I love mashed potatoes…I think I should have them more! As for the kombucha, I don’t really tend to get a buzz, but I find the Celestial Seasonings brand is a little milder than most (I actually wrote about them today!) I go to school really close to the CS factory so there’s a CS café on campus and I get one after class :) Guess that alcohol helps me get through my cognitive psych class! Kidding…
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…Things I’m Loving (September Edition)My Profile

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale September 10, 2013, 7:44 pm

Love the added greek yogurt. I’ll be giving this a try!
    Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted…Chuck Taylor’ingMy Profile

• Lisa September 10, 2013, 8:11 pm

I always loved mashed potatoes versus any other style since I just really like the texture of them…even though I’m not totally in love with the flavor they produce. I do love mashed sweet potatoes though..probably because they’re sweeter tasting:)
    My favorite comfort food would always have to be mac and cheese, I just love it.
    Lisa recently posted…Moments Dedicated To YourselfMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 11, 2013, 2:02 am

I couldn’t agree with you more about the mashed potatoes – perfect comfort food! And I think that has to do with the fact that they remind me so much of my childhood. I was the pickiest eater, and mashed potatoes were one of the only things I enjoyed. Those, mac n cheese, and warm oatmeal would probably be the things that give me the biggest warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. a side effect of blogging .My Profile

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 11, 2013, 2:28 am

Mashed potatoes are easily one of my fav comfort foods! They are so good, every single time. I like to leave the skin on mine and make them a bit chunky.. if they are too creamy I get this texture thing that freaks me out. Haha I’ve never felt woozy after drinking kombucha, and I actually get a bit more energy after drinking it. Weird how it effects people differently!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Creamy Corn DipMy Profile

• Jamie @ fitfortherun September 11, 2013, 3:20 am

Wow, these look so so good! I have a lot of comfort food, but my favorite would probably be chili :)
    Jamie @ fitfortherun recently posted…What I’ve Been Up To & Another 13.1 PR!My Profile

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies September 11, 2013, 3:35 am

Friday’s almost here? It feels like a million years away. I’ve never added Greek yogurt to mashed potatoes, but it sounds like it would make them SO creamy and delicious. I like your trick for microwaving the potatoes too, it’d be nice on a hot summer day (or a hot September day, wtf Michigan) to not boil a big pot of water
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…S’mores Pancakes (Vegan and Whole Grain)My Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 11, 2013, 3:48 am

I love how easy this looks! I like mashed potatoes, but the boyfriend adores them – and I’m usually way too lazy to make them up. But I guess now I don’t have an excuse! :-p
    Favourite comfort food: anything chocolate, or any sort of cheesy/creamy pasta – mac and cheese being the obvious choice.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: 14 Hours.My Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 11, 2013, 4:23 am

Oh wow, these sound amazing! I’m so excited for the season to change and comfort food to get into full swing! :)

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life September 11, 2013, 4:54 am

These look amazing! My husband is obsessed with mashed potatoes and I know he would love this recipe!

I love skins on in my mashed potatoes! It gives great texture and makes them look truly homemade!

• James September 11, 2013, 5:31 am

Mashed potatoes are my ultimate comfort food…with mum’s homemade gravy YUM. I can go skin on or off. It depends on the type of potato. But, honestly, I don’t know if I can say I didn’t meet a potato I didn’t like :)
    James recently posted…Chicago – Guide Me!My Profile

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food September 11, 2013, 5:50 am

Oh you are speaking my language! Who has time to boil potatoes on a weekday? Not me! Thanks for posting this.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…Working in CharlotteMy Profile

• Tiff @ Love, Sweat, & Beers September 11, 2013, 6:29 am

They sound great to me! I like the idea of yogurt in potatoes.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 11, 2013, 6:44 am

This is actually perfect! I don’t have any potatoes at home but I do have cauliflower so I may have to adapt a bit. No dinner planned for tonight…this might have to happen.
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Gluten-Free Pumpkin Donut HolesMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 11, 2013, 6:50 am

My family is crazy about mashed potatoes, especially my dad and my brother. I like that these are a healthier version and I think the addition of Greek yogurt is such a great idea. My favorite comfort food would be anything pasta related or pizza.
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #13 – Summer Chickpea SaladMy Profile

• Ashley September 11, 2013, 7:02 am

I love how simple these are! And especially that you used greek yogurt in them. I also always use red potatoes and pretty much never peel them : ) I actually like the skin but I’m also just too lazy to get out the peeler!
    Ashley recently posted…Overnight Baked Apple Cinnamon French ToastMy Profile

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 11, 2013, 7:36 am

I think my favorite comfort food is spaghetti bolognese. Deliciousness! I only like mashed potatoes if someone else makes them for me and there is a lot of garlic! :)
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Fall Into Fall Plus Detox Day 2My Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 11, 2013, 7:42 am

I’m not a big fan of white potatoes but I do love mashed sweet potatoes. My mom makes mashed white potatoes mixed with parsnips though and I usually really like that. I think when white potatoes are made into mashed potatoes well they lose their dryness and funny consistency that I don’t like. I would leave the skins on too!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW – typical Monday eatsMy Profile

• Angela @ Health's Angel September 11, 2013, 7:55 am

I love red skin potatoes- especially roasted! I never really make them for myself, though. I always associate mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving. :)
    Favorite comfort food…I don’t think I could pick just one! Anything my mom makes is always comforting, and I love old school homemade chocolate chip cookies.
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted…Coconut CrazeMy Profile

• Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog September 11, 2013, 8:00 am

Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods, that and mac and cheese. I have a bag of multi-color potatoes at home and I’m totally going to try this recipe tomorrow. Thanks for the idea! I was beginning to wonder what I’d do with them.
    Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted…wiaw #48: heat waveMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine September 11, 2013, 8:38 am

You almost have me walking over to the store for mashed potato fixings on this 100 degree day! I’m with you on the red potatoes – I do remember reading somewhere that they’re healthier plus I think they taste better ;) I’m about to confess a huge blogger fail here… I do not like kombucha! It always weirds me out and I’m afraid I’m going to get ill from it. Bizarre? Yes.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#5 WIAW – Oprah and a French DateMy Profile

• Meri @ sweetgreenhouse September 11, 2013, 9:10 am

YUM! I love that these are made in the microwave! I’m sure that cuts down on heat in the kitchen and clean up time. I LOVE my mashed potatoes, but really hate having to clean up all the dishes I use to make them. Of course, I kind of just have a tendency to make a mess of everything every time I cook. :)
    Meri @ sweetgreenhouse recently posted…Sexy Sweet PotatoesMy Profile

• sara @ Fitcupcaker September 11, 2013, 11:58 am

my favorite comfort food is grilled cheese and soup, yum! Especially broccoli cheese soup from Panera!
    sara @ Fitcupcaker recently posted…Carrot Cake Protein BallsMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 11, 2013, 12:18 pm

Those mashed potatoes look delicious!! Great idea adding Greek yoghurt I never would have thought of that which is funny because I love adding Greek yoghurt to everything :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #29My Profile

• Sarah September 12, 2013, 2:17 pm

I love adding Greek yogurt to everything too! (obviously) :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness September 11, 2013, 12:51 pm

ooohhh mashed pototos are my FAVORITE thing in fall and winter! they’re seriously the perfect comfort food. i love the way my mom makes them, but this recipe could give her a run for her money! looks soo good!

• dishing up the dirt September 11, 2013, 12:54 pm

Girl,I’m in the mood for some comfort food!!! We are harvesting a butt load of potatoes right now and this meal is calling my name!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…carrot and beet slaw with black rice and avocadoMy Profile

• Tara September 11, 2013, 1:38 pm

I thought I was the only one to get a buzz! Wow, I thought I was the biggest weenie so I never told anyone. This anecdote just made my week. :)

Mash potatoes reminds me of the colder weather, I usually make them with red potatoes as well. :)
    Tara recently posted…Sauteed MushroomsMy Profile

• Erin @ The Almond Eater September 11, 2013, 4:53 pm

These look amazing! Any recipe that has “quick” or “simple” in the title I will be making :) I’ve never tried mashed potatoes made with red potatoes, but I’d like to try.
    My favorite comfort food might have to be…mac n cheese. So good.

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures September 11, 2013, 6:27 pm

It’s so funny that you posted this today! I was searching near and far for some comfort food for dinner tonight because I had a legit bad work day. I ended up with something else, but this is great recipe for those of us (me) who don’t enjoy the long process of making mashed potatoes or the boxed nasty kind. I LOVE red potatoes the most! I used to work in a restaurant that used them for their breakfast potato hash and it was stellar! :)
    Glad you’re ensuring you rid those potatoes of gnarly spots! Important stuff. Yay for enjoying Kombucha – I wish I could for the benefits but I just can’t. So sad.
    Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures recently posted…Knoxville and the Not so Long RunMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian September 12, 2013, 7:47 am

Those mashed taters look delicious. It’s not something I usually have, even though I really do love it. I suppose it’s because I always think it takes so long. I was in charge of the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving Feast in cooking class in high school and it seemed like a long process. I can deal with 10 minutes :)

The first few times with kombucha was love hate and alcohol. The more I’ve had, the more I’ve noticed I don’t feel the alcohol and the better the drink tastes :)
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Running because I can. . .My Profile

• Tawny September 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Yum! Great photos!
    Tawny recently posted…So many blogs…My Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) September 12, 2013, 11:57 am

I recently gave kombucha another try because my mom is starting to like them. I think their okay, but definitely not worth the money. I’d rather try making it myself. Can ppl really feel the alcohol in them? Isn’t it like .1 percent? lol. I heard a kid was suspended from school bc his mom accidentally packed him one with alcohol in it. Sounds like the school made a huge deal out of nothing.

I LOVE mashed potatoes but never make them. It’s one of those foods I save for Thanksgiving and Christmas and then go all out!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Two Years with RyderMy Profile

• Sarah September 12, 2013, 2:03 pm

Isn’t it sad that I felt the alcohol?! I drink a small amount of wine (like 4 ounces) every day so I’m surprised that I did.
      That is ridiculous that a kid was suspended from school for that!

• Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite September 12, 2013, 1:30 pm

Omg, mashed potatoes are basically the quintessential comfort food! Love how quick and easy this recipe is!
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: I Dream of PiesMy Profile