≡ Menu

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato & Corn Salsa

Well, it’s officially football season which means it’s time to bust out the cold beer and the finger lickin’ good recipes.

For some of you this might mean sloppy, saucy chicken wings but for me, it means a big heaping pile of cheesy nachos.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato Salsa

Back in May, Brandon and I took a drive to Sonoma county to pick up a few heirloom tomato plants from Kendall Jackson and I’m happy to report that we have managed to keep all of them alive and kickin’.

Sure, they probably aren’t the prettiest tomato plants out there but they are starting to give us the most beautifully ripe and juicy tomatoes which makes me one seriously happy camper.

I decided to put all of those beauts to good use and made an heirloom tomato salsa with sweet corn, cilantro, diced jalapeno, green onions and fresh squeezed lime juice.

Nachos0

Then I piled the salsa on top of a bed of crispy corn tortilla chips layered with mashed sweet potato, refried black beans, gooey monterey jack cheese, homemade guacamole and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato Salsa 1

I’m telling you…lip smackin’, finger lickin’ good.

I know these might sound a bit involved but if you microwave the sweet potato and buy the beans already refried then they’re actually pretty easy to throw together.

I tried these refried beans from Pacific Foods for the first time and I thought they were really good. Not to mention, they’re organic and the container is BPA free.

Loaded Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos (7)

P.S. They didn’t pay me or give me anything free to write that; I just genuinely like their product.

After microwaving the sweet potato, I mashed it with a touch of lime juice, a little bit of cumin and a dash of chili powder and the flavors paired perfectly with the refried black beans.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato Salsa 4

We ate these nachos twice over the weekend and now I’m craving them again…they are really that good.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato & Corn Salsa

• 1 red onion, diced
  • juice from 2 limes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Serves 4-6 people

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. then wash the sweet potato and pierce the skin several times with a knife before microwaving for about 6 minutes (time may vary depending on size). Allow to cool slightly before scraping flesh into a medium size bowl then add the cumin, chili powder and a touch of lime juice and mash until mixed together.

Nachos01

Next, arrange tortilla chips over a large baking sheet, skillet, or dish and top chips with refried black beans (I microwaved mine for one minute), one tablespoon at a time. Then top with sweet potato mixture, one tablespoon at a time.

Loaded Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos (72)

Combine ingredients for heirloom tomato & corn salsa in a medium size bowl an toss until well combined. You can also make the salsa ahead of time if needed.

Then top the nachos with the heirloom tomato salsa.

Loaded Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos (77)

Lastly, layer shredded cheese on top and bake in the preheated oven for ten minutes.

Loaded Black Bean Sweet Potato Nachos (82)

While nachos are cooking, prepare guacamole by placing avocadoes in a medium size bowl and mashing them with lime juice, salt, and pepper. Add diced red onion and mix well.

Once cheese is melted, remove nachos from oven and top with guacamole and Greek yogurt.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato Salsa 2

Be sure to bring lots of napkins for this one! They’re messy but believe me, they’re totally worth it.

Sweet Potato Nachos with Heirloom Tomato Salsa 10

What’s your favorite game day recipe?

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green September 3, 2013, 6:37 pm

I’m drooling looking at these!! They look so delicious!! I love sweet potatoes AND black beans – win/win! This recipe reminds me that I haven’t had a good plate of nachos in ages… I see these in my near future!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…August Grocery Store FavouritesMy Profile

• Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) September 3, 2013, 6:55 pm

these sound and look SO good!
    Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) recently posted…Brew Review: Grand Teton SweetgrassMy Profile

• Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 3, 2013, 6:57 pm

Who’s got time to mess with sticky chicken wings?! If I’m gonna get my hands dirty, I’m gonna do it right…and dive HEAD-FIRST into this plate of nachos! Love the idea of adding the mashed sweet potato. I’m not usually a huge fan of savory sweet potatoes, but there’s just something about combining them with Mexican spices/flavors…and cheese. I mean, you can’t go wrong with cheese!

Jealous of your heirlooms! I’ve had the privilege of mooching off my boyfriend’s garden this summer, but we’re both bummed that the heirlooms we (read: HE…just sat on the deck and watched while I sipped my morning coffee! Lol) planted didn’t make it. Luckily all the others took off…it’s been a tomato paradise for the last couple of weeks and I have absolutely no complaints about THAT!
    Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted…Forgive Me and I’ll Give You a Cookie!My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 3, 2013, 7:18 pm

Oh my :shock: These look absolutely -amazing-. I usually have my sweet potatoes with almond butter and maple syrup, but thank you for reminding me that they taste amazing in savoury dishes as well. I have to admit that, unless we’re talking hockey, we don’t usually have game days up here in Canadaland, but I’d take a plate of these nachos over chicken fingers any day!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. currently – september .My Profile

• Luv What You Do September 3, 2013, 7:32 pm

Those nachos look fantastic! I love everything sweet potato!!!
    Hooray for football season! I”m sooo excited!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…More Chocolate, Mallows, and GrahamsMy Profile

• Suzanne@Mixing It Up September 3, 2013, 7:44 pm

I love a good sweet potato and black bean burrito but over crispy chips….even better!!! I think these may be my weekend treat!!
    Suzanne@Mixing It Up recently posted…Right or WrongMy Profile

• Carly @ Snack Therapy September 3, 2013, 7:46 pm

omg omg omg. What’s not to love about this?

Nothing. That’s what.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Labor Day Weekend + The Greatest Photographer EverMy Profile

• Lisa September 3, 2013, 7:50 pm

Oh. My. Seriously your recipes always leave me so hungry. These look all kinds of awesome! I love the idea of adding sweet potato into the mix. Such a good idea.

• Nicole September 3, 2013, 9:05 pm

Oooohh baby, this looks YUM!
    I love football, and any healthy eats that can go with it! I will definitely be trying these out very soon.
    Nicole recently posted…Oven Baked Zucchini FriesMy Profile

• Jamie @ fitfortherun September 4, 2013, 2:25 am

Oh my gosh, these looking AMAZING! Gotta make these!
    Jamie @ fitfortherun recently posted…Healthy Banana Pumpkin MuffinsMy Profile

• Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 4, 2013, 2:51 am

That actually looks amazing and cheesy things sometimes gross me out haha but not this! I love chilli for game day, with a side of cornbread is awesome
    Amy @ The Little Honey Bee recently posted…Gettin’ Figgy With It [WIAW 11]My Profile

• Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite September 4, 2013, 3:46 am

I love that you added mashed sweet potatoes in with the refried beans! These look to die for…is it Saturday game day yet? I need to make these!
    Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted…Orange Pucker JuiceMy Profile

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies September 4, 2013, 3:50 am

All I can say to these is “GIMME!!!” They look amazing. I had a big pile of vegan nachos last night to kick a craving I’d been having for weeks, and now I just know I need an even bigger pile of these. Can’t wait to try.
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Raspberry Chia Seed PancakesMy Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 4, 2013, 4:09 am

So I don’t watch football too often, but I would if it means I had an excuse to whip these up. I adore sweet potato with Mexican flavours! Anything with guacamole instantly has my attention ;-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: Moving Day Means a Lot of Takeout.My Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat September 4, 2013, 4:23 am

Oh my goodness Sarah! These are the perfect snack for football season. My husband would definitely be a fan! They look amazing!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #12 – Labor Day Weekend EatsMy Profile

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life September 4, 2013, 5:14 am

Oh my goodness, these look incredible! I agree with you, they would be perfect for game day! ;)

• Alexis @ Hummusapien September 4, 2013, 5:22 am

Holy guacamole…I want to take a bite out of my computer screen. If I could nosh on these during football games, I’d be WAY more inclined to watch the game :)

• Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food September 4, 2013, 5:45 am

Looks delicious!! I love thinking about game-day food. My favorites are a big crock pot of chili or smoking some pork butt on the grill!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Falling Off The Wagon….So To SpeakMy Profile

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 4, 2013, 6:04 am

These looks incredible! I really strange and like adding relish to my nachos…it’s actually really good!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Sunflower Butter Carob BitesMy Profile

• Heather @Pinkaholic Fitness September 4, 2013, 6:13 am

omg so yumm!

• Tara September 4, 2013, 6:28 am

Sarah! Your photography gets better each and every post! I am so proud of you! It also doesn’t hurt that these look like the best. nachos. ever! Come to SF and cook for me ASAP please. :)
    Tara recently posted…Jalapeno Green Bean Stir FryMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 4, 2013, 7:04 am

Yum! These sound amazing! I loving using sweet potato inside of quesadillas and these nachos just sound like they have the perfect flavor combination. I’m going to have to make these the next time I’m up with my boyfriend an his friends for football.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW – birthdaysMy Profile

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness September 4, 2013, 7:28 am

omg i want to reach through my screen right now and eat all of those nachos right now. seriously im drooling, i need to not read your posts around lunch time or something because now all i want are those!! yay for football season!!
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…I’m In The Wall Street Journal Today!My Profile

• Sara @ Fit.Fun.Femme September 4, 2013, 8:30 am

Gourmet nachos with yummy goodness….girl you are making my mouth water right now! Printing out yet another one of your recipes. Happy Football Season!

• Jackie September 4, 2013, 9:00 am

Preach girl! We’re speaking the same language with this recipe!!!
    Jackie recently posted…Tasty Tuesday Roasted ChickenMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian September 4, 2013, 9:06 am

I’ll be making this for game days :) And even the corn looks yummy on this! Sour cream on the side though. yum.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Marathon Training Week 2My Profile

• Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog September 4, 2013, 9:24 am

I seriously love everything about this! Sweet potatoes. Nachos. Football. Sounds like my perfect Saturday afternoon (I’m a college FB fan). Sidenote: we have a tomato plant in our backyard that looks awful, but is producing the most delicious Romas. Maybe that’s a thing? The uglier the better?
    Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted…wiaw #47: eating veggiesMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine September 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Sweet Potato Nachos??! Girl, you had me at nachos and sweet potato and black beans and cheese… Actually, I just love everything in this recipe and will need no excuse to make this the next time we’re home for a football game.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Where to Eat – Minneapolis EditionMy Profile

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 4, 2013, 10:05 am

GAH! Those look DIVINE!!!! Seriously putting those on my must make list asap!! Loving the recipes!!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…Headbands of Hope + a Giveaway!My Profile

• FitBritt@MyOwnBalance September 4, 2013, 2:39 pm

I totally never thought to add sweet potato to my nachos but I am definitely doing that the next time I make them! I absolutely love a healthy nacho and this recipe is a great idea! Stunning photos as always! :)
    FitBritt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…National Yoga MonthMy Profile

• Kathy @ Olives and Garlic September 4, 2013, 5:15 pm

Great minds think alike. I just made nachos the other night. I love the addition of sweet potatoes and wish my hubby loved sweet potatoes.

• Alex @ Kenzie Life September 4, 2013, 5:38 pm

Oh those look so good! I’m going to a big football school for my post-bacc, so I’m going to need to a) learn something about football and b) make some awesome recipes with a vegan twist :) Thanks for sharing this recipe!
    Alex @ Kenzie Life recently posted…A Romanian Orthodox Baptism (Crazy, Wild NYC Part 2)My Profile

• Paige@FitNotFad September 4, 2013, 8:30 pm

These look soooo delicious! I wouldn’t have thought to put sweet potato on nachos but it totally makes sense!
    Paige@FitNotFad recently posted…WIAW #8My Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats September 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Yumm!! You’ve so made me crave nachos now :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Friday Favourites #27My Profile

• Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens September 6, 2013, 3:41 am

Insane! These look completely amazing! I am totally with you on the nachos-are-better-than-wings-while-watching-football thing, but it has never, ever come even close to occurring to me that I should add sweet potatoes. Brilliant! You are my new hero! :D
    Shelley @ Two Healthy Kitchens recently posted…Four-Ingredient Grilled Corn Salad with Nonfat Chili-Lime DressingMy Profile

• Sarah September 6, 2013, 8:20 am

Aw, you give me too much credit! :)