≡ Menu

Light n’ Easy Strawberry Pie (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

After living in Texas for 3 years, I learned a few key things:

1. Most Texans are extremely kind, welcoming, and about as down-to-earth as you can imagine.
  2. Life is not complete without a cold bottle of Shiner, football, and barbeque.
  3. When you throw something away, you “chunk” it, not “chuck” it.
  4. Cowboys really do exist.
  5. They know how to make some of the best desserts known to man.

pie 156

This recipe comes from a girlfriend of mine that I used to work with back in College Station and she is easily one of the most genuine people I know. I love her more than this pie, and that’s saying a lot.

Whenever it was someone’s birthday or some other kind of event, we always looked to her bring a delicious dessert that we knew everyone would love.

Sure enough, in the thick of the hot Texas summer, she brought a strawberry pie that was so light and refreshing, yet so simple, that I couldn’t believe I had never had it before.

pie 168

Fresh strawberries and Jell-O tucked inside of a tasty pie crust with Cool Whip on top?

Yeah, I fell in love…and you better believe that wasn’t the last time she made that pie for us.

Light n’ Easy Strawberry Pie (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Inspired by Stace

• 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 14 ounces (1 and 3/4 cup) cold water
  • 6 ounces vegan strawberry gelatin (I used Simply Delish)
  • 2 tablespoon corn starch
  • 3 tablespoons cane sugar
  • 1 gluten-free pie crust (9 inches) (I used Wholly Wholesome)
  • 2 cups vegan whipped cream topping (coconut whipped cream) or Truwhip for a non-vegan option

Makes one 9 inch pie (about 8 servings)

pie 015

Begin by baking the pie crust according to the directions on the package. After it has cooled, arrange sliced strawberries inside of it.

pie 032

Combine cold water and cornstarch in a large sauce pan and stir until dissolved.

pie 020

Next, bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat and then stir-in cane sugar and contents of vegan gelatin. Remove from heat and continue to stir until ingredients dissolve and it starts to slightly thicken. Pour mixture overtop of strawberries within the pie crust and set aside for about 45 minutes to an hour.

pie 035 pie 037

*Vegan gelatin doesn’t require refrigeration to solidify but you can refrigerate it if you like it cold.

Top with whipped cream and serve!

Strawberries + whipped cream = pure bliss

pie 149

My dear friend will probably shake her head and laugh at me for making a vegan “healthified” version of this pie, but she knows that’s how I roll. Winking smile

And I won’t tell her this, but aside from the color being a little less bright red from the food coloring in the Jell-O, I thought it tasted just as good!

pie 182

I must confess, I really wanted to make my own vegan gelatin using fruit juice and agar agar powder for this pie but Whole Foods was all out of agar agar! (I just felt like an angry pirate, yelling some kind of obscenity)

Can you believe that?! So they twisted my arm and made me buy the pre-packaged stuff instead. And then they said they would throw in the pie crust for free so I had to skip making that myself too. Oh well.

Have you ever been to Texas? What did you learn while you were there?

*******

I hope you all have a safe and happy July 4th! I have the day off work so I won’t be posting anything tomorrow. Instead, I’ll be enjoying my day off with my Branmuffin.

And most importantly, I want to say thank you to all of our servicemen who are overseas, away from their babies and loved ones, sacrificing their lives for our freedom. Much love to you and best wishes for a safe return home! Red heart

*******

Disclaimer: The link to the vegan gelatin is an Amazon affiliate link. If you decide to purchase it after clicking on the link, I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Just thought I’d let ya know. Transparency is important to me! Smile

• Lisa July 2, 2013, 8:18 pm

This sounds so interesting! Especially with the jello. Awe, too bad you couldn’t try out the vegan option! I love agar agar. It’s one of my favorite things to experiment with – but this version would probably photograph much better than the vegan version anyways;)
    Lisa recently posted…June FavoritesMy Profile

• Sarah July 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

I know, I’ve never used agar agar and I was really interested in giving it a try. But the Simply Delish mix that I used is vegan too so this is still a vegan dessert, just a little less from scratch. ;)

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes July 2, 2013, 9:18 pm

Best desserts??!! Now I have to visit Texas!! I’d love to someday :) This looks fabulous!
    Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes recently posted…Pear Almond Barley SaladMy Profile

• Christine@ Apple of My Eye July 2, 2013, 10:10 pm

Ahh there really is nothing like strawberries and cream/cool whip in the summer! I’m a big fan of the strawberry pies form Marie Calendar’s, but this recipe looks so delicious and doable that I might have to give it a go! :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness July 3, 2013, 2:59 am

I’ve never head of strawberry before! Why the heck have the texans been keeping it under wraps from all the northeast kids, this is something we’d really like to know about :) it looks so good and refreshing and just downright delicious! Have a happy and safe 4th!!

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:37 am

I know! It’s like duh, why didn’t I think of this?! Have a great 4th too Charlotte! :)

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies July 3, 2013, 3:43 am

mmmm strawberry pie! I’ve never had one, because of the Jell-o, but they always look so good! I’d actually never seen flavored vegan gelatin before. The organic market near me only sells “plain” and you sweeten it with fruit juice (and it’s not very good). excited to see that options exist!
    Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies recently posted…Cook-out Round UpMy Profile

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:39 am

I was pleasantly surprised with the Simply Delish. It’s made with xylitol so it’s sugar free but it doesn’t affect the flavor too much. Plus xylitol helps prevent cavities and strawberries whiten your teeth. You can eat pie and brush your teeth at the same time, haha! (kidding!) :)

• Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty July 3, 2013, 4:30 am

This looks fantastic! So refreshing, naturally sweet and perfect for summer!

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 3, 2013, 5:01 am

I’m obsessed with strawberries right now! They’re so juicy and amazing! This strawberry pie sounds like the perfect dessert for me and I’m glad it’s easy to make!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…WIAW #4 — No Smoothie!?!My Profile

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green July 3, 2013, 5:09 am

I’ve actually been wanting to make a vegan jell-o pie for some time now. I really want to make banana cream pie, but I guess that would be pudding haha. My grandma makes a pie just like the one you made.. so good!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…My First HalfMy Profile

• Stacey Bradley July 3, 2013, 5:18 am

This post makes me happy. I made this pie for Father’s Day for Jayme. It’s his favorite. :) I’m so glad that you took a little Texas with ya to Cali!

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Aw, thank you for making all of those great desserts! I have lots of inspiration for the blog now. And I’ll always have a little piece of Texas in my heart! :)

• Katherine July 3, 2013, 5:19 am

I’m currently in the thick of that hot Texas Summer, so I can totally understand why this would be life changing. I went to a little Strawberry farm last weekend and picked a massive amount of strawberries, and I think this recipe would be perfect to make with them!
    Katherine recently posted…But Where Did June Go?My Profile

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Oh, that sounds like a great time, picking fresh strawberries! I need to look into doing that out here.

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles July 3, 2013, 5:55 am

Laughing out loud at the “agar agar” and disrupting a snoozing Rosie on my lap :) my sister and I have been looking for a 4th of July themed dessert to make tomorrow, and I think we’ve found it! Just substituting blue jello for the strawberry–I’m definitely sending this to my sister. :) Have a great 4th, girlie!
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…WIAW #8: Rabbity rabbity rabbityMy Profile

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:42 am

Aw, poor Rosie! It would be so festive with blue jello, great idea!

• Carly @ Snack Therapy July 3, 2013, 6:23 am

Texans chunk something away?! Too funny! I don’t know why, but that absolutely killed me.

These pictures are absolutely beautiful! I can’t even get over it.
    Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted…Layers.My Profile

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:43 am

Yeah, I was pretty shocked when I first heard it too. We got into a debate about it and I had to prove to all of those Texans that chunk used in that context isn’t a word. I won. :)

• Ashlee@HisnHers July 3, 2013, 6:31 am

You nailed Texas perfectly! ;-)
    This pie would be perfect for the Fourth! And super cute with blueberries on top for a red, white & blue thing?

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:44 am

I thought about adding blueberries too but I wanted to keep to the original recipe. However, I think it would awesome with blueberries too!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 3, 2013, 7:30 am

This looks absolutely amazing… And given the freak heat wave that we’ve been experiencing here lately, I seriously wouldn’t mind digging in to a slice or two of this pie myself. Any plans to visit Canada any time soon? :D

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:45 am

I hope I can visit Canada one day! If so, I’ll make this pie and bring it to you. Assuming it’s during the one hot month in Canada. :)

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles July 3, 2013, 8:06 am

This looks HEAVENLY!!!! And I laughed out loud at the things you’ve learned since living in TX. Hilarious. I didn’t know several of those either until I married a TX boy :)
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…we are blessedMy Profile

• Suzanne @ Mixing It Up July 3, 2013, 8:14 am

Well, I am from Texas and I agree with every thing you say. We ARE some of the best people ever ;-). And once you have lived here, I think that makes you an honorary Texan which puts you in the category of “good people”, too!!!

This pie looks pretty amazing!!! I wonder if I could add blueberries to it as well to give it a 4th of July look?! I think I may give it a shot!!
    Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: My New Favorite DessertMy Profile

• Sarah July 3, 2013, 10:46 am

Aw, thanks Suzanne! I say go for it with the blueberries!

• Elizabeth@Elizabeth's Garden Kitchen July 3, 2013, 8:21 am

I’ve only been to Dallas. I liked it a lot except for the restaurants – all of the ones we ended up at were not the most vegan-friendly! Bacon, lard, and butter in everything. I’ve heard Austin has awesome vegetarian restaurants, so I definitely want to go there at some point.

This pie looks amazing! I love fruity desserts in the summer.
    Elizabeth@Elizabeth’s Garden Kitchen recently posted…Watermelon SaladMy Profile

• sara @ fitcupcaker July 3, 2013, 8:32 am

my mouth is watering right now, and its def time for lunch and I keep reading food blogs= bad idea! I would def want to make this for a summer dessert! Thanks for the recipe
    sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted…WIAW: Apple Tuna Salad RecipeMy Profile

• Heather July 3, 2013, 9:41 am

Wow! Great recipe! Love anything strawberry!

I have never been to Texas.. hopefully one day!

Have a great 4th!
    Heather recently posted…Amusement Parks & Dinner WalksMy Profile

• Tara July 3, 2013, 9:46 am

This looks so fresh and perfect for a warm summer day. I never heard of agar agar, you must post a recipe once you played around enough with it in the kitchen. I’m a little apprehensive to use gelatin, something my micro teacher said to me creeped me off it forever!
    Tara recently posted…Habanero SalsaMy Profile

• Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 3, 2013, 10:06 am

This looks so fabulously simple! Perfect summer dessert, clearly.
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…WIAW: BBQ and a Swimming Pug.My Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine July 3, 2013, 10:30 am

This looks JUST like the strawberry pie my mom makes but I can guarantee you that it isn’t vegan ;) And “chunk” rather than “chuck” – WHA??! I’ve never heard of that before!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Banana-Rhubarb BreadMy Profile

• Ricky July 3, 2013, 10:42 am

I never use flavoured gelatin. In this case I would simply puree some strawberries with the water or use juice with unflavoured gelatin. It’s way more versatile this way, I don’t need so many individual boxes.

• Davida @TheHealthyMaven July 3, 2013, 12:00 pm

This looks fabulous! I just picked up 2 lbs of strawberries at the farmers market and now I know exactly what to do with them :)
    Davida @TheHealthyMaven recently posted…Vegan & GF Animal CrackersMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats July 3, 2013, 3:46 pm

That looks delicious! I wish we had gluten free ingredients here in Australia like that pie crust but we are still quite behind!
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Photos of Melbourne where I live & July GoalsMy Profile

• sally @ sallys baking addiction July 4, 2013, 4:10 am

I adore strawberry pie. And this looks amazing! So perfect for the 4th. :)

• Natalie July 4, 2013, 5:51 am

This looks super amazing! I love berry pie’s and I really love that this is gluten-free and vegan, just pinned this :)

• Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen July 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

MMM I love strawberries, and I love that you made it light! :)
    Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen recently posted…Chocolate Peanut Butter CookiewichMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 5, 2013, 9:15 am

Oh this pie sounds really good! I lived in Texas for a summer internship a few years and and was shocked how many people really did walk around with cowboy hats and boots.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Happy Independence DayMy Profile