Ricotta, Mascarpone, Goat Cheese & Honey Spread

You know what’s awesome about living in Northern California?

No…it’s not all of the great hiking. Nope…it’s not the perfect weather. Nooo…not the endless amount of things to see and do.

ricotta spread 109

It’s the FOOD! At least, for me it is.

Okay, I know a lot of places in the world have incredible food and I’m not denying that.

But when you’re a vegetarian who loves finding new and tasty ways to eat healthy while enjoying a nice tall glass of vino, California is pretty much a perfect match.

ricotta spread 039

Almost every time we eat out, I am inspired by something on the menu. Like this ricotta spread for example. We had an appetizer similar to it when we went wine tasting at Wente Vineyards and I just couldn’t get enough.

The light and creamy texture flavored with a touch of honey and fragrant, toasted pine nuts smeared on top of soft, warm and fluffy bread.

ricotta spread 051

Oh, so good.

Actually, I tell Brandon it is absolutely necessary for us to eat out on a regular basis so that I can continue to gain inspiration for the blog. Hehe

ricotta spread 080

It’s nice to take a break from the kitchen sometimes too, right?

Believe or not, as decadent and satisfying as this spread is, you won’t be spending much time in the kitchen to make it. I’m talkin’ ten minutes, people. That’s it.

Ten minutes yields you a deliciously fancy appetizer with just the right touch of sweetness and still leaves you plenty of time to consume that bottle glass of wine.

Cheers!

Ricotta, Mascarpone, Goat Cheese & Honey Spread

Makes 14 ounces spread

• 8 ounces Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
  • 4 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
  • 2 ounces Goat Cheese (could also use 4 ounces for more goat cheese flavor)
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

ricotta spread 037

Start by preheating the oven or toaster oven to 350°F. Then line a cookie sheet with foil and spread the pine nuts on top.

ricotta spread 024

Place the pine nuts in the oven for about 7 minutes, until light golden brown and deliciously fragrant.

While the pine nuts are baking, combine all three cheeses in a bowl or food processor (processing gives it a fluffier texture) along with one teaspoon honey. Stir or process until well combined and then scoop into a serving bowl. Mix in about half of the pine nuts with the cheese, then sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.

Drizzle with the rest of the honey and then serve along side warm, pillowy focaccia.

ricotta spread 048

If you are trying to avoid bread, it would also be great with fresh veggies or crispy crackers. Or maybe even some fresh fruit like sliced nectarines or peaches…sweet Jesus.

This spread is the perfect treat for a relaxing evening at home with your favorite person and your favorite wine, but it also fancy enough to take to a dinner party and impress a few of your friends, if you wish.

ricotta spread 114

Really, you can serve it however or whenever you please just don’t forget the wine! Winking smile

Where do you draw your inspiration in the kitchen from?

What’s your favorite appetizer?

• Dana June 4, 2013, 8:15 pm

This looks fantastic! I love these flavors together so I’m sure it tastes mighty delish! I actually prefer ‘lighter’ apps. Cheese, crackers, dips and spreads. So this is perfect!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 4, 2013, 8:25 pm

Oh.my.word… this looks absolutely incredible. I’ve really been loving the combination of plain Greek yogurt with honey lately, so I can only imagine how good it must taste when paired with cheese. As for appetizers, I love crackers with dips and finger sandwiches.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. trusting the process .My Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:26 pm

Mmm, greek yogurt and honey would make a delicious dip too!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine June 5, 2013, 2:33 am

Thanks for rubbing in the California awesomeness even more!! Ah – so jealous :) This cheese-y deliciousness looks like something I’d devour! Definitely going on the Saturday afternoon snack list for when Kyle gets back home!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…My First MarathonMy Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:25 pm

You’ll be here soon enough! :)

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles June 5, 2013, 4:35 am

This looks SO good. And your photography is fantastic! I used to make dip using just honey and goat cheese, and was completely obsessed for a period of time, so I’m definitely going to have to make this at some point! My favorite appetizer would have to be either crackers and cheese or pigs in a blanket. They’re so cute!
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn’t Work HardMy Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:25 pm

Thank you Beth! Pigs in a blanket remind me of being a kid! You can put anything in a croissant and it will be amazing. :)

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green June 5, 2013, 5:29 am

It’s recipes like this that make being vegan so hard! Haha it looks delicious and so easy; I’ll have to make it for my family to enjoy!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…Weekly Ingredient Trio – Falafel BallsMy Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:24 pm

I know, cheese is just hard to let go of! I have major respect for vegans though, it’s not easy!

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness June 5, 2013, 5:46 am

Oh YUM- I’m not even kidding when I’m eating out the bread and butter/dip/olive oil can make or break the experience! My favorite thing in the world is to have a glass of wine and things to nibble on. its just the perfect end to the day :)
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…“Illusions, Michael.”My Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:23 pm

I agree, the way bread is served at a restaurant means so much! Carraba’s has excellent bread and dip, if you’ve never been there, you should try it!

• Lawrence June 5, 2013, 6:35 am

That looks awesome!

I love some Port Wine cheese with Grissini Bread Sticks…I am in heaven!
    Lawrence recently posted…Weekly Challenge June 5 – Get In Shape with a Deck of CardsMy Profile

• Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 5, 2013, 8:58 am

You take such lovely pictures . I love some bread with olive oil and dip.. sometimes even with a few fresh greens on top. I always treat it like a fancy snack.
    Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl recently posted…Frozen No Bake Cake Batter Cats & SquaresMy Profile

• Sarah June 5, 2013, 6:22 pm

Thanks Pamela! I also love bread with olive oil and herbs, so perfect!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 5, 2013, 10:50 am

Ricotta cheese and goat cheese are both seriously amazing. Yum! :)
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Black-Eyed Pea and Veggie Bowl with Cauliflower RiceMy Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat June 5, 2013, 11:30 am

Mmmmm…this looks wonderful! I love the combination of flavors!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…My First WIAW and Some RamblingsMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness June 5, 2013, 12:44 pm

This spread sounds amazing! I bet it would be really good with fruit. A big plate with this crisp French bread and fruit would be so good!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW #19 – Weekend eatsMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 5, 2013, 2:30 pm

My word that looks delicious! I love goats cheese (well any kind of cheese really!).

I love dips and bread, cheese platters and arancini balls or sushi.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Easy MeatloafMy Profile

• Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 6, 2013, 4:50 pm

Ooh, that spread looks so tasty! I love the drizzle of honey on top. :)
    Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted…Recipe | Spring Berry Salad with Lemon Verbena VinaigretteMy Profile

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate June 6, 2013, 5:13 pm

I just put this on our menu for this weekend at the cabin…cannot wait to sink my teeth into a chunk of grilled bread with this spread!! Looks like heaven!
    Taylor @ greens & chocolate recently posted…edamame succotashMy Profile

• Amanda June 30, 2013, 1:39 pm

Ah this looks amazing! Great blog, love the healthful recipes! can’t wait to try this one.
    Amanda recently posted…An American Girl Eating ParisMy Profile