≡ Menu

‘Cool as a Cucumber’ Beet Juice

p 340

Today is a very special day, friends!! And no, it’s not because of this super refreshing and healthy juice but we’ll get to that soon enough.

So…you know that unbelievably good looking guy you see on here from time to time?

Wente Vineyards (14)

Yeah, that one. Well…today is his birthday!! He doesn’t like it when I talk about his age or his grey hair (teehee), but I’m going to do it anyway he turns 32 today! Side note: I don’t think men should be allowed to be funny about their age. I mean, women are the ones with the rapidly ticking biological clock while most men just get more “distinguished”. I don't know smile

Unfortunately, Brandon is working his little booty off tonight doing scientific research at a laboratory in Berkeley (he’s working to eventually reduce our dependence on foreign oil, swoon In love) and won’t be home until well into tomorrow morning. He also has a mean toothache from his wisdom teeth coming in (he’s a late bloomer) which has left him feeling less than stellar. Sad smile

Although he’ll be sleeping most of the day, I am hoping to take him out for a nice birthday dinner after I get home from work. We are also planning a day trip on Sunday to celebrate because I have to work all day Saturday. #weworktoomuch

Okay, now on to the juice! This juice was inspired by a small coffee shop here in the East Bay area. I have been wanting to make my own since I first tried it but because I didn’t have a juicer, I kept going back to the coffee shop every time I wanted one. Oh, and every time I get my hair cut too since it’s right next door to the salon I go to.

As soon as I saw the idea for using a blender along with a fine mesh strainer to juice, I knew I had to make this juice myself at home.

p 345

Besides being incredibly refreshing, it is also full of age-defying antioxidants. For some reason, Brandon keeps asking me to make more of this juice…hmmm, I wonder why that could be? (I kid!)

‘Cool as a Cucumber’ Beet Juice

• 2 beets, peeled and diced (approx. 2 cups)
  • 2 apples, cored and diced (approx. 2 cups)
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and cored (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup water + 2 teaspoons lime juice

Makes 10 ounces juice

p 288

Place beets, apples, and cucumbers into a blender. Then add the water and lime juice and blend on high until smooth.

p 293

Transfer a portion of the pulp into a fine mesh strainer that is positioned over a large bowl or measuring cup and press down with a rubber spatula to drain the juice. Continue adding more pulp and pressing until you have emptied the blender. Allow the pulp to sit for at least ten minutes while stirring periodically to extract as much juice as possible.

p 297

Refrigerate for several hours and serve cold (over ice, if you please).

There is also a good bit of pulp left over from making this juice and you are more than welcome to eat it with a spoon so you can benefit from the fiber! Yummy!

p 341

So, if you’ve been reading my blog for a while then you know I originally set a goal to post five times a week on here. I’m sure no one even noticed this, but last week I only posted four times. I know, the horror.

Honestly, I thoroughly enjoy creating things and writing about other random stuff for my blog, but sometimes life just gets too busy for me to keep up, as it did last week. As much as I love it, I have to limit myself so that I can keep my sanity. Whether it is four times or five times a week, I’ll be here though so don’t worry. I’d hate for you to lose sleep over it.{total sarcasm, in case you didn’t pick up on that}

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BRANMUFFIN!! Party smile I love you more with every year that passes and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to have found you! XOXO

Do you juice at home? Have you ever tried beet juice?

• Becky @ Olives n Wine May 9, 2013, 2:56 am

Happy Birthday to Brandon!! Have so much fun celebrating on Sunday – it sounds like you both deserve some much needed party time after all of your working! And don’t worry about how many posts you get to each week. We all get busy :)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Chicken Fried Tofu + Hooch + Derby Pie… What to Eat in Louisville!My Profile

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:20 am

Thanks Becky! He appreciates your birthday wish! Working a lot isn’t always fun but I feel lucky to have a job and it makes me enjoy my time off that much more so it’s all good. Have a great weekend! :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness May 9, 2013, 5:53 am

Happy Birthday Brandon!! It’s my mom’s bday too. That beet juice looks so refreshing and yummy!

And I did notice you missed a day last week- I was wondering where you were, but assumed life just got in the way as it tends to do. If you missed two days I would have emailed to make sure everything was ok :) It’s funny, before I started a blog I was like “posting 5 days will be easy, no big deal” but it is sometimes REALLY hard to keep that schedule up! enjoy the rest of your thursday girlie :)
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Happy Birthday / Mother’s Day, Mom!My Profile

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:22 am

I’m flattered that you noticed I missed a post. I am the only one pressuring myself to post so much because I love it but I need to take a chill pill sometimes. Our paying jobs get in the way, huh? :) Have a great weekend and I hope your Mother’s Birth Day celebration is awesome!

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life May 9, 2013, 5:59 am

Happy birthday Brandon! It is never fun to work on your birthday (you should always get that day off! ;) ) but you two will have a blast this weekend!

I am with you on needing a blogging break some days! As much as I love it, life (and my paying job!) can get in the way, but I try and post 3-5 times per week without pressure :)

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:26 am

He says thank you Jana! Yes, we’ll make up for it this weekend for sure. I get a little too excited with the whole blogging thing and need to calm myself down sometimes. Darn those paying jobs for getting in the way! ;)

• ashleedn05@yahoo.com May 9, 2013, 7:09 am

Ohh that looks delicious and refreshing!
    Happy Birthday Brandon!
    -It is SO not fair how guys get better looking with age haha
    ashleedn05@yahoo.com recently posted…We’re planting a garden!My Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 9, 2013, 7:16 am

This is the prettiest color!! I never would have thought to add cucumbers, but it sounds SUPER refreshing…perfect for Summer!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: May 8, 2013 + The Best Vegetarian BLTMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian May 9, 2013, 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday Brandon!! Hope you feel better!

My husband kinda/sorta/maybe works in the oil industry. Something about filtering the raw oil or something. yeah.

I got all the ingredients to make this juice. I am just too lazy to strain and wait for it to chill. Lol!

I noticed a missing post too, but it’s no biggie. Life does get in the way of posting. Heck, this whole month of May is going to get in the way of a lot of posting. ha.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…The InjuryMy Profile

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:36 am

Haha…yeah, it can be hard to keep up with what they’re doing at work! And I’m trying to calm myself down on the blogging as I tend to overfill my schedule and drive myself nuts. It’s silly and I need to learn to go with the flow better. :)

• Kathy @ Food Wine Thyme May 9, 2013, 1:38 pm

Happy Birthday Brandon. The beet juice recipe is a perfect combination. I love that you used cucumbers to offset the sweet beets. Can’t wait to make it tomorrow morning.

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:37 am

Thanks Kathy! It is a great combo and I hope you like it! :)

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 9, 2013, 1:45 pm

It definitely looks refreshing but I really hate beetroots so I don’t think I could do it :)

I hope your man enjoys his birthday.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Broccoli, Cauliflower & Tuna Cheesy BakeMy Profile

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:38 am

Haha…that’s too bad, beets are so good for you! :) And thank you for the birthday wish, we had a great dinner together!

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 9, 2013, 4:04 pm

Happy Birthday Brandon! This beet juice sounds wonderful, I love the flavor of beets!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…WIAW #17My Profile

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:39 am

Thank you for Bran’s birthday wish, Nicole! :)

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love May 9, 2013, 4:23 pm

Oh I can’t wait to try this. I bought a Breville juicer recently and need to break it in. Happy Birthday to your sweetie! I feel for him with the wisdom tooth. I had all four of mine cut out at age 30!

I hear you on making time to blog. Don’t fret, I have not posted since January! :) Some blogs that I follow only post once a week. People that enjoy your blog will always follow you! :)

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 7:43 am

Oh, I am so jealous of your juicer! ;) You’re going to have so much fun with that thing! I was lucky enough to have my wisdom teeth pulled and not surgically removed but he goes today for a consultation at the oral surgeon- not fun, at all!

I also follow blogs that post infrequently but I get so excited with blogging that I go overboard, so I’m trying to make myself chill out a little more. Thanks for the sweet encouragement Tracey!

• dishing up the dirt May 10, 2013, 5:46 am

oh lady, you know my weakness for beets! This sounds fabulous. Happy Birthday to your man. Have fun celebrating!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…roasted grapefruit with cinnamon and sugarMy Profile

• sally @ sallys baking addiction May 10, 2013, 4:13 pm

Happy Birthday to Brandon! This juice looks amazing. I love the flavor combinations – I recently had beet juice just like this, with practically the same ingredients. I have to make it at home now!
    sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted…Easy Mother’s Day Weekend Recipes!My Profile

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 13, 2013, 5:37 am

I’m not usually a fan of beets, but this juice sounds delish! I need to give it a try!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Weekend RecapMy Profile

• Elle May 15, 2013, 10:36 am

If I didn’t see the title of your post, I would have thought that the drink was wine.

I have never tried beet juice, and it doesn’t sound too appetizing. I wish I liked beets more. They are a great source of antioxidants, but the taste takes some getting used to, I think.

However, I really enjoy apples and cucumbers, so I think it wouldn’t be too bad!

Instead of adding just water, I think I’ll try this with some sparkling water and I might adjust the quantity of beets (might add a little bit less). Thanks!
    Elle recently posted…Bulimia Recovery Tips, by Pauline Hanuise. A True Story of Hope and InspirationMy Profile

• Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes June 13, 2013, 5:49 am

I’ve heard beet juice is sooo good for you! I don’t love the taste, but totally worth it for the benefits it gives :)
    Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes recently posted…Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Cookie CupsMy Profile

• Carla June 21, 2013, 9:17 am

Wow it looks yum & nourishing. Will be trying it for breakfast tomorrow morning.
    P.S. Belated happy b’day Brandon. Hope the wisdom tooth is OK now.
    Carla recently posted…Best Juicer On the MarketMy Profile

• Sarah June 21, 2013, 10:07 am

Thank you Carla! Brandon’s tooth is actually much better. I hope you enjoy the juice! :)