‘Glow From Within’ Watermelon Juice

Boy, was it hot here this weekend!! I don’t know what the heck happened. Northern California is supposed to be known for it’s cool, temperate weather but I would say 90 degrees is a little too warm. Listen to me, getting all spoiled. 90 degrees is nothing compared to the many 100+ degree days I managed to survive in Texas. I can’t say that I miss those hot days and I don’t think my wallet does either. As a matter of fact, I almost put the AC on this weekend but I’m too big of a cheapskate to do that now that I have to pay state income taxes. However, I am not too cheap buy loads of fresh fruit to make myself a refreshing, skin- glowing juice to cool off with. Glow from Within Juice (106) This drink is full of juicy watermelon which, to me, is incredibly refreshing on a hot day. It’s like you can feel it hydrating your insides and giving you that radiant glow on the outside. Glow from Within Juice (107) Whenever a hot day rolls around, all I need is a comfy chair in the shade along with one of these in my hand and I’m good to go! ‘Glow From Within’ Watermelon Juice Click to Print this Recipe!

• 2 cups seedless watermelon, diced (approximately 1/4 small-medium size watermelon)
  • 3/4 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
  • 1 cup apple, cored and diced (approximately 1 medium size apple, I used a Gala)
  • 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, cored and diced (approximately 1 cucumber)
  • 1 tablespoon filtered water
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice

Makes 12 ounces juice (I doubled the recipe to get two juices) Glow from Within Juice (17) After my transmission went out on my car, my get-a-juicer fund went towards a new car instead so I had to make this juice sans juicer. Luckily, I discovered the technique of using a blender along with a fine mesh strainer from The Minimalist Baker and it does the job just fine. Glow from Within Juice (21)

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend on high until a smooth, liquid-like texture is achieved.
  2. Grab a large bowl or measuring cup and place a fine mesh strainer over top of it.
  3. Slowly pour a quarter of the mixture into the strainer and press with a spatula so that juice begins to drain.
  4. Continue this step until the rest of the mixture has been added to the strainer and pressed.
  5. Allow the pulp to sit for at least 10 minutes to get any extra juice out. I also stirred it occasionally to help get more out.
  6. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (or freeze for 10) before serving. This juice is best served extra cold and I personally like it over ice with a straw.

Note: Because of the seeds in the strawberries and watermelon, the texture of the juice is slightly thick. Glow from Within Juice (84) I definitely plan on making this juice again so I can “glow” my way through the summer heat. Glow from Within Juice (4) If you are wondering exactly what it is in watermelon that makes your skin glow, I found this article that explains it a little better: 3 Fruits for Great Summer Skin   Besides enjoying this juice, my weekend was pretty low-key since Brandon had to work a few graveyard shifts which meant he was going to bed not long after I woke up. Luckily, these shifts are out of the ordinary for him so it’s not unbearable. Plus, I get to stay home and make juice so it all works out! Winking smile Well friends, I hope you have a fantastic Monday!   What is your favorite way to cool off on a hot day?

• Jen @ Savory Simple April 29, 2013, 3:59 am

The color from this juice is absolutely gorgeous!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 29, 2013, 4:53 am

Watermelon, strawberries, and apples are all on my list of favorite fruits… This juice sounds absolutely amazing! Oh, and it’s snowing here this morning… so I’d gladly take your wonderfully hot weather :)

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 7:59 am

Oh my, will spring ever make it’s way to Canada? You’re right, I much rather have the heat here than snow. :/

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 29, 2013, 4:59 am

That looks so refreshing and delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever had watermelon juice before, I need to try this! I love thick textured juices, this seems right up my alley. My boyfriend had to work more than usual this weekend too, so I had a really low key saturday. Favorite way to cool off- drinks on a roof deck. Boston usually has a good breeze anyways, but on a roof deck you can really feel it.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Mixtape Monday!My Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:03 am

I tried it for the first time about a year ago and it is amazing. You should definitely give it a try sometime. Too bad you weren’t on the West Coast on Saturday, I would have invited you over for a drink! ;) I’ve never been on a roof deck (I’ve always lived in the burbs) but it sounds like so much fun!

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 29, 2013, 5:27 am

I was working in Texas last summer…that 110 degree heat is BRUTAL. I would end up with sweat pouring off of me after the 10 minute bike ride to work!

My favorite way to cool off on a hot day is frozen fruit–namely, blueberries and grapes. :) And ice cream. Ice cream is always an option!
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…MIMM #2My Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:04 am

I can’t believe you rode your bike to work in Texas! The heat there is so miserable. Frozen blueberries and grapes sound amazing! I need some grape action in my never future, haha.

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 29, 2013, 4:35 pm

I didn’t have access to a car, so my only other option was biking ;) It was mildly unfortunate and sucked a ton. :)

On a side note, I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Award! I’m excited to read your responses! :)
        Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…The Liebster Award!My Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:13 pm

Thanks for nominating me Beth! I was actually nominated about a month ago and did a full post on it but I will try to answer your questions as well. Thanks again! :)

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 29, 2013, 7:31 am

There is something wrong with that weather, it’s too hot for April in northern California while on the east coast temperatures are still below average this year. Gorgeous pictures. The color of that juice looks amazing and I love the blend of red fruits and cucumber!!
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…Sauteed garlic kale broccoliMy Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:05 am

You’re right, there is something wrong! You should come to California for some warmth and nice cold watermelon juice! :)

• sally @ sallys baking addiction April 29, 2013, 8:05 am

Pinning this recipe – I have to make it! I love watermelons and have been drinking plenty of homemade fruit juices often the past month or two. Thanks for sharing this new recipe!
    sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted…Snickers Cheesecake Bars.My Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:17 pm

Thanks Sally! It is a great combination and I hope you like it! :)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 29, 2013, 9:51 am

Not only is the color of this juice really pretty, but is sounds so refreshing and delicious. Just thinking about watermelon puts me even more in the mood for Summer! Get here quicker!!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Thai Chickpea CabbageMy Profile

• Ashlee@HisnHers April 29, 2013, 10:00 am

Such a perfect summer drink!! I know you know how hot it gets here in Texas..I’ll definitely be cooling off with this very soon!
    Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted…Larry Joe Taylor Music Festival + Healthy Camping Food IdeasMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 29, 2013, 10:38 am

the juice sounds refreshing! great to know about how to make juice from a blender. I am sans a real juicer myself.

It’s only going to get hotter. I know the north east bay gets pretty hot in the summer and fall. coastal northern CA is what gets the cool weather. 70 is sweltering for my sister in the Eureka area. lol.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…WIAW I’m all over the place editionMy Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:18 pm

70 is nothing! I knew it got hot here but not so soon, I guess we’ll have to escape to San Fran on the really hot days!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine April 29, 2013, 10:45 am

90 degrees in northern Cali? That sounds crazy! This juice looks amazing. I love anything with watermelon in it, such a great fruit for rehydrating :)
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Spinach & Cheese Lasagna Roll-UpsMy Profile

• Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 29, 2013, 12:06 pm

This juice sounds AMAZING and since I do have to endure the long Texas Summers, one that will definitely be made!! I don’t have a juicer either so I am glad to know that I can still make it without!!
    Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted…No ExcusesMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 29, 2013, 1:18 pm

Yum I love watermelon juice. My best friend made blended watermelon juice with vodka and like this year on New Years and it was so delicious and refreshing. Your juice sans vodka is obviously much healthier :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Marvelous in my Monday #6My Profile

• Sarah April 29, 2013, 8:16 pm

Oooh, I bet that was a tasty drink! And you probably don’t get as hung over since the watermelon juice is so hydrating! :)

• melissa @ my whole food life April 29, 2013, 2:51 pm

All my favorite things in one drink! Yum!
    melissa @ my whole food life recently posted…Dairy Free Cheese SauceMy Profile

• Jaclyn April 29, 2013, 3:25 pm

Omg love this!!! I enjoy making fruit blended drinks!!

Check my blog:http://stylevolver.blogspot.com/
    Jaclyn recently posted…on YOUR must have list.My Profile

• TNFashionLove May 2, 2013, 2:15 am

I’m dying to try out the juicing recipe from your blog as well as the blog you reference. What type of mesh strainer are you using? Having just moved overseas, a small kitchen means no room for a juicer, but I’m reading mixed reviews on mesh strainers on Amazon!
    TNFashionLove recently posted…April 30-Day Challenge Summary and May 30-Day Challenge RevelationMy Profile

• Sarah May 2, 2013, 5:47 am

Oh, I can imagine how small your kitchen must be living overseas. I have an OXO fine mesh strainer and it works great. Pressing the juice out from the pulp is time consuming but if its all you’ve got, it works. Hope that helps! :)

• LeShia May 16, 2013, 8:22 am

This is great didn’t think to try a mesh strainer. That will definitely work till I get a better juice blender. Just put one on my wishlist on Amazon. :)
    Thanks

• Sarah May 19, 2013, 4:18 pm

You’re welcome, I hope it works good for you! :)

• Sandy July 25, 2013, 7:13 am

Very good reciepe. But a quick question. Can i put all these into Jack LaLanne juicer so I can skip filtering. Do you think it is a good idea?

• Sarah July 25, 2013, 8:15 am

I think it would work fine in a juicer!

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles August 19, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hoping it cools down again soon for you! But in the mean time, this looks awesome!! I’m loving all of these fancy drinks you’ve been concocting lately! :)
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…10 Things I’ve Learned As a Mrs.My Profile