Quinoa Honey Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough

I loved hearing about everyone’s childhood favorite foods yesterday. Lasagna seems to be the top runner for a lot of you. I do love lasagna but my grandma makes some mean stuffed shells almost every Christmas and I would have to say those beat out lasagna for me.

Another thing that beats out lasagna in my book? Pizza!

sunol 208

Seriously though…is there anyone out there that doesn’t like pizza?

Warm, fluffy crust topped with flavorful sauce and stringy cheese…

sunol 187

What’s not to love?

As a vegetarian, pizza is one of my go-to meals. I’m pretty sure you can travel almost anywhere and find a veggie pizza. Plus, some pizzas can actually be made healthy which I personally love.

Like this one. Whole grain flour, rich butternut squash for sauce and slightly tender kale, make for a healthy and flavorful pizza.

Yes and yes.

• 1 head kale, washed and chopped
  • 1/c cup vegetable broth
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 shallot
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons goat cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend)

Makes two pizzas

*Time saving tip: you can find frozen butternut squash that has already been peeled and diced and microwave it for 5 minutes with a little bit of water. Easy, peasy.

To make the sauce, mash up the cooked squash (or place it in the food processor) and add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 tablespoons goat cheese to it. For the kale, I prepared it by sautéing it my favorite way, with garlic, shallots, and vegetable broth, but you could also toss it in olive oil and put it right on top as Andrea did in her recipe.

sunol 028

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Then combine the yeast with 1 cup warm (not hot) water and set aside for 5 minutes.

Combine all three flours and salt in a food processor pulse until mix together. (You can also do this by hand in a large bowl if you don’t have a food processor)

sunol 008

Next, add the honey to the water with the yeast and allow it to sit for several minutes.

Stir to make sure the honey is mixed well and then pour it into the spout of the food processor while it is running on low speed. The flour will eventually turn into a ball of dough.

sunol 020

Remove the dough from the processor and knead into a round ball. Place the dough in a large bowl greased with olive oil, cover with a towel and set aside for several hours so that the dough can rise.

After it has doubled in size, place the dough on a lightly floured surface.

sunol 149

Divide the ball into two separate halves and smooth them back into round balls with your hands. Then roll each ball out with a rolling pin into desired size and shape for your pizza.

sunol 165

Carefully transfer the dough to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and smooth about 1/2 cup sauce on top.

sunol 172

Then layer the sautéed kale on top of the sauce.

sunol 174

Lastly, top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

sunol 177

Cook pizza in preheated oven for 14 minutes, then set oven to broil. Broil on high for about 3 or 4 more minutes, until cheese is golden brown on top.

sunol 181

**This recipe makes a crust of average thickness but if you prefer a thicker crust, you can make one pizza instead of two. You would probably need to cook the crust first for about 5 minutes before cooking with toppings if you decide to make it thicker.

Brandon and I loved this pizza and ate both of them like there was no tomorrow.

sunol 196

If you haven’t tried butternut squash and kale together, you should. Like, tomorrow.

Another recipe I love that also combines them is Butternut Squash and Kale Risotto, SO good.

Okay, I’m done babbling for today. Happy Friday Eve! Open-mouthed smile

What is your favorite kind of pizza? Do you prefer thick or thin crust?

• Becky @ Olives n Wine April 25, 2013, 2:06 am

What a gorgeous pizza! I love that you used butternut squash as part of the “sauce” :) Super healthy and I’m sure it complements the kale perfectly!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…No-Spend April Update!My Profile

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 7:31 am

The sauce with the kale was so good but I can’t take credit for that idea. I saw it on Andrea’s blog and knew I had to have it!!

• Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 25, 2013, 3:41 am

How do you ALWAYS have the best looking, healthy foods?! This looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much for the recipe; I can’t wait to try it soon!

I prefer a thinner crust, but I’m not opposed to thicker crusts as long as they don’t overpower the rest of the pizza. I once had a pizza that was pretty much just straight crust…I wasn’t a fan. :)
    Beth @ Mangoes and Miles recently posted…Lab LunchMy Profile

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 7:33 am

Thanks Beth! It is my goal to try to get healthy food to taste good! I agree, it has to be the right balance of crust to toppings. Too much crust can make it a little dry.

• Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat April 25, 2013, 4:45 am

OMG…this pizza sounds fantastic!
    Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat recently posted…Liebster AwardMy Profile

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 7:34 am

Thanks Holly! It was pretty good. I wish I had some left for lunch today! :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 25, 2013, 5:08 am

This looks incredible!! I would have no will power to just have a slice or two, I would eat the entire thing :) My favorite pizza is thin crust with jalapenos, pineapple and bacon. Its not the healthiest thing in the world, but its soo good.
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…8 Quotes on Laughter to Make You SmileMy Profile

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 7:34 am

That’s an interesting mix for pizza!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 25, 2013, 6:01 am

Guess who’s just been hit with a huge pizza craving? This looks absolutely delicious! I love pizza, but I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never made my own homemade crust before… and I’m not even that fancy with my toppings. When I was little, the only way I would eat pizza was just plain dough, sauce, and cheese, and I have to admit that that’s kind of my favorite way to eat it to this day.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #28 .My Profile

• Natalie April 25, 2013, 7:27 am

This looks amazing, so creative! The topping especially looks wonderful. Great job!
    Natalie recently posted…Apple Cardamom Muffins – VeganMy Profile

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green April 25, 2013, 7:46 am

Awesome recipe!! It could easily be made vegan. I am also a big fan of kale & butternut squash together!
    Christine @ Gotta Eat Green recently posted…April Grocery Store FavouritesMy Profile

• Julia April 25, 2013, 8:21 am

This pizza looks so delicious. I am a huge fan of butternut squash but never thought to add it to pizza!

• Kathy @ FoodWineThyme April 25, 2013, 8:51 am

I am one of those people who is not a big huge pizza lover. I do not like tomato sauce based pizza’s much, however i do like a thin crust salad pizza. I guess its the bread and salad thing. :) Beautiful pizza though

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 25, 2013, 9:00 am

This sounds amazing, and I LOVE your topping choices!! Plus, the colors are super pretty :). I definitely eat with my eyes, too!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: April 24, 2013My Profile

• Dana April 25, 2013, 10:37 am

This looks SO GOOD! It’s such a gorgeous pie. yum!

• Meg April 25, 2013, 11:03 am

I adore your website. Such good stuff and you update so often! I’ve tried a few of your recipes, and they’ve turned out delish! Trying the pizza tonight :)

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 11:54 am

Aw, thanks Meg! I appreciate you letting me know. I hope you like the pizza too! :)

• Sara @ fitcupcaker April 25, 2013, 11:07 am

That looks too pretty to eat! I never thought about using squash as sauce like that. so creative!
    Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted…Weird Things Pets DoMy Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 25, 2013, 7:18 pm

Your meals are always so creative and healthy!
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Almond Coconut BitesMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 26, 2013, 12:16 am

Yum this looks awesome, do you think you could use all quinoa flour?

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 30, 2013, 8:52 am

That pizza looks UH-mazing! I love the healthy topping combo.

• Trish July 22, 2013, 1:14 pm

Hello-

Do you think I could swap out that 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour with another 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour?
    Thanks!

• Sarah July 22, 2013, 2:12 pm

Hi Trish! Yes, I think that would work fine. It might change the texture of the crust (may not be as soft) but I think it would hold together fine since WWF still has gluten in it.
      If you decide to try it, let me know how it turns out! I might have to give it a go myself.