≡ Menu

Luxembourg

I have to tell you, doing Travel Tuesdays on the blog is making me realize that I need to do some more traveling. Ha!

So today’s travel destination that I am sharing with you is Luxembourg, a European country that is bordered by Germany, France and Belgium. Although it is relatively small (population of less than 600,000), it is a very wealthy country and, according to The World Bank, has the highest GDP per capita in the world.

C 133

We stopped in Luxembourg City for a few hours to have lunch so I don’t have a bunch of pictures but from what I saw, everything was incredibly clean and there was a ton a great shopping there. However, the Euro was graciously kicking the U.S. dollar’s butt the year we were there (and still is!) so I refrained from making any purchases.

Nonetheless, if you are ever looking to do some great European shopping with a little bit of historical scenery  mixed in, this is the place to go.

C 128

C 129

Our German friend managed to perfectly parallel park the van we had rented so we made sure to take a picture for memories of his expertise.

C 127

All of the homes around the city had a very ancient feel to them and were surrounded by tons of pretty green trees.

C 132

C 130

C 142

Many of the roads were raised above the city so that you are able to get an aerial view as your drove through.

C 131

C 140

C 141

C 139

C 138

C 137

C 136

We only took one picture together while we were and later realized that Brandon’s fly was down when we took it!

C 134 (Touch Up)

Nothing a little cartoon can’t fix.

Well, that is all I have of Luxembourg but even though we were only there for a few hours, I was impressed with how clean and safe it felt and hope to go back some day.

Had you heard of Luxembourg before? Have you done any shopping overseas?

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 22, 2013, 7:35 pm

Eep! I had no idea about the lawsuit thing… Definitely going to have to watch where I get my pictures from.

I’ve never been to Luxembourg before, but I absolutely love the feel of European cities. I have a lot of family in Poland and I fall in love with the feel of the cities every time I go to visit them. So different from us here in North America.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. cue monday morning .My Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 8:46 am

I’m not sure if the lawsuit thing is true, but it’s enough to scare me away! I’ve never been to Poland but I’m sure it’s amazing. Europe does feel completely different and I think it is because their cities are so much older than ours.

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 23, 2013, 4:44 am

Those pictures are beautiful! I’ve never been to Luxembourg. I did quite a bit of shopping during my semester abroad in Florence. Memories :)
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…Why Happy Endings is the Best Show on Television; And a Small Fitness Reference Since This is a Fitness BlogMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 8:47 am

I would LOVE to go to Italy! Italians have exquisite taste in fashion too, I bet you got some amazing stuff! :)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 23, 2013, 5:36 am

I am so jealous of all of your travels!! You have been to some amazing places!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Slow-cooker Pea and Carrot Rice SoupMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 8:48 am

I’ve actually only been overseas once in my life but it was for 3 weeks so we got to cover a lot of ground. Hopefully you can make it to Europe too one day! :)

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 23, 2013, 6:45 am

I’ve never been to Luxembourg but my dad has been there a couple of years ago and he was impressed. I love the historic atmosphere of European cities and I always like to see towns with that feel here in the US. Whenever you plan your next trip to Europe you should consider visiting Poland. I can recommend places worth to see…or you can take me with you as your guide ;).
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…Roasted broccoli & apple saladMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 8:51 am

I would love to go to Poland and bring you as my guide!! I think it makes the experience 10 x better when you travel with someone who knows all of the best spots! :)

• Elizabeth @ Elizabeth's Garden Kitchen April 23, 2013, 8:57 am

Generally, photographers, whether professional or not, automatically have a copyright on all of their photos, so you should always get written permission before using someone else’s work. This is not my area of expertise, so I’m hesitant to give any advice on the matter, but you might find this Q and A helpful: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html
    Elizabeth @ Elizabeth’s Garden Kitchen recently posted…Cauliflower Cous Cous with Fresh Pesto SauceMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth! It looks like you might have to go through the process of having your work copyrighted in order to have a legal case but either way, it makes me nervous to go there. I would think if you are using the image to advertise (such as a movie poster) it would be okay but who knows? We need to get a lawyer to do a guest post, lol!

• Elizabeth April 23, 2013, 12:33 pm

Correct – I think you would have to register your copyright to successfully sue someone to the full extent allowed by law. But a photographer does have copyright protection automatically as soon as he/she takes a photo, so there is still a chance you could incur fees and a lot of stress either way. I personally wouldn’t take that risk! I’m a lawyer, but like I said, intellectual property is not my area of practice, so I just know the very basics. I have no idea how many lawsuits have involved bloggers posting photos without permission, or what kind of damages you would be looking at there. Like you said, I think a lot of times the originator would see it as free advertising and be cool with it – but definitely get permission first to be safe.
        Elizabeth recently posted…Cauliflower Cous Cous with Fresh Pesto SauceMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 12:44 pm

Haha, I guess we don’t have to find a lawyer after all! :) Yes, it is not worth the potential problems to post someone else’s picture without prior persmission. Thanks again for sharing your opinions on the matter, they have been very helpful!

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 23, 2013, 12:27 pm

It’s sooooo green! Love that. and the little gardens by the river. ah, be still my heart. I haven’t been there before. We didn’t make it out to western Europe really whem we traveled. Furthest was Munich, Germany and Como Italy.

Love the old buildings and architecture of old Europe. so gorgeous.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Running just makes sense. . .My Profile

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 23, 2013, 12:53 pm

I love travel posts :) and was laughing out loud when I saw the cartoon pants! I would love to just travel all over and write about all the history/foods/cultures.
    Nicole @ FruitnFitness recently posted…Forgetful PackingMy Profile

• dishing up the dirt April 23, 2013, 4:07 pm

one word. JEALOUS!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…garlicky swiss chard with sun dried tomatoes & chickpeasMy Profile

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate April 23, 2013, 4:40 pm

What a fun and beautiful city! I love your Travel Tuesdays…they make me want to travel more, too!
    Taylor @ greens & chocolate recently posted…shrimp po’ boyMy Profile

• B. R. June 17, 2013, 11:01 am

You just took my “most wanted” trip. I’ve been everywhere but THERE!
    Just found your blog. I, too, live in the East/South East Bay Area. I am a major gluten intolerant.
    I am by way of: Tallahassee; Austin; Here. Strange world isn’t it!
    You have a nice blog. Keep it up!

• Sarah June 17, 2013, 11:27 am

I wish I could have spent more time in Luxembourg, it was such a nice place. I hope you get to go one day!
      And that is quite a coincidence that you have made your way here on a similar path! I appreciate you taking the time
      to say hi and I hope you find a few recipes worth trying on here. :)