≡ Menu

Black Bean & Quinoa Tostadas with Mango Salsa

I have been bit by the mango bug and I can’t stop eating them.

There’s just something about the soft, buttery texture and the slightly sweet flavor.

rsz_tostadas_0620

I just can’t get enough.

tostadas 080

Maybe it’s because the flavor that takes me away to a tropical island (Maui? Yes, Hawaii!) where I can lay in the sand and stare out at the beautiful water.

tostadas 087

Alright, alright. Sigh.

If I can’t have Hawaii, I guess I’ll settle for healthy and savory tostadas topped with tropical mango salsa and creamy cilantro-lime yogurt sauce.

tostadas 106

Paradise…in a Tostada. Paired with an ice cold beer. Yep!

Black Bean & Quinoa Tostadas with Mango Salsa

Tostadas

• 1/2 cup quinoa (soaked overnight and rinsed) + 1 cup vegetable broth or water
  • 2 (15 ounces each) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 medium size avocados, peeled and diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 package corn tortillas
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used white cheddar, but monterey jack would also work well)

Mango Salsa

• 2 medium size mangos, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 6 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 limes)

Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Sauce

• 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
  • 4 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 limes)
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Bring 1 cup vegetable broth or water to a boil and add 1/2 cup soaked* and rinsed quinoa. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
  2. After quinoa has cooked, add two cans drained and rinsed black beans, cumin, olive oil and salt & pepper to the pot with the quinoa. Mix until well combined and leave on low heat.
  3. In a separate medium sized bowl, combine diced mango, halved grape tomatoes, chopped green onions, finely chopped cilantro and lime juice and mix well.
  4. In a food processor or separate small bowl (last bowl-I promise!) combine the yogurt, lime juice, finely chopped cilantro, olive oil and salt and pulse or stir until well combined.
  5. Set your oven (or toaster oven) to broil and allow to preheat for a few minutes. Place the corn tortillas directly on rack and allow to cook 3 or 4 minutes, until crispy.
  6. Remove quinoa and black beans from heat and add in the diced avocado.
  7. Place tortillas on a plate, top with black bean & quinoa mixture and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of the shredded cheese.
  8. Top with the mango salsa and then drizzle the cilantro-lime yogurt sauce and salivate…I mean serve.

Total time: 30 minutes

Makes 10 tostadas.

*Note: if you choose not to presoak the quinoa, you will need more liquid to cook with.

Tip: A food processor comes in handy to help finely chop the cilantro and to make the yogurt sauce. Winking smile

tostadas 023

You guys are seriously going to hear me talk about a tropical island for the rest of eternity if I don’t get to one soon. I need a tropical vacay…bad.

Hmmmhmmm…Brandon? Be right back

Do you like mangos? What’s your favorite way to eat them?

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 11, 2013, 5:49 am

Oh girl these look amazing! You’ve even got me craving them at 8 AM, and I’m not even a savory breakfast kind of girl. I had my first fresh mango of the season about a week ago and omigosh – heaven. When it comes to mangos, I don’t try and get fancy – straight up peel and eat is where it’s at for me :)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #26 .My Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 7:34 am

Ugh, they are so addicting! And you’re right, they are good enough on their own that they don’t need anything fancy! :)

• Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness April 11, 2013, 5:54 am

Those look so delicious! I heart mango so much. Mango sorbet, mango smoothies, mango salsa, mango chicken- LOVE.

(aaaand now I’m hungry)
    Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness recently posted…8 Examples of Awesome People Doing Life RightMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 7:35 am

Hehe..sorry to make you hungry! :) Mmm, I could go for a mango smoothie right about now!

• Beth @ Motor City on my Mind April 11, 2013, 5:55 am

Sound pretty amazing!! Love mango!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine April 11, 2013, 6:01 am

Forget the boys, I’ll go on a vacay to a tropical island with you! :) As long as we can enjoy your tostadas and mango salsa every day while on vacation…
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…No-Spend April UpdateMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 7:36 am

Alright! Let’s go! Actually, it’s your fault, posting all those great Puerto Rico pictures. :)

• Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food April 11, 2013, 6:40 am

I’ve never made my own mango salsa… but whenever I get my hand on some I cannot get enough!

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 7:37 am

It was my first time making it too and I loved it! Perfect for summer!

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 11, 2013, 7:25 am

It’s tough not to think about summer and vacation when looking at these colorful tortillas :). Yum!
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…My natural cold remedy drinksMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 11, 2013, 7:44 am

I absolutely love tostados and how easy they are to make. Yours look beautiful! I am loving the colors :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…A Nearly Wordless WIAWMy Profile

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 11, 2013, 11:32 am

Mmmmm lime yogurt sauce. I think I can rummage a few things out of my kitchen and make this. Must find mango first. Or papaya.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Soreness & BeastiesMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 8:08 pm

I’ve never tried papaya but I need to!

• Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life April 11, 2013, 12:05 pm

This sounds so good! I just made a mango salsa earlier this week and it was my first time using fruit in a savory salsa and it was so so good! I will definitely have to make these! :)

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 11, 2013, 12:53 pm

Wow those look incredible!

There is this mexican place in the city where I live that make tostadas and I’ve always thought of making them but never seen a recipe. Thanks for sharing.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Confessions #2My Profile

• Taylor @ greens & chocolate April 11, 2013, 3:12 pm

Oh my….drooling!! This recipe is definitely making me wish I had put some effort into dinner instead of just having popcorn!
    Taylor @ greens & chocolate recently posted…strawberry corn muffinsMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 8:07 pm

Sometimes it’s nice to have an extremely easy dinner such as a bowl of cereal…or popcorn! :)

• Steph April 11, 2013, 4:50 pm

Those look delish! I put black beans in everything, I swear. lol
    Steph recently posted…The first yearMy Profile

• Sarah April 11, 2013, 8:06 pm

Me too! You will beans in almost all of my recipes! :)

• Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 11, 2013, 6:18 pm

Wow I love everything about this recipe. These look really really good! We both have tostada fever!
    Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted…Zucchini Carrot Refried Bean TostadasMy Profile

• Ashlee@HisnHers April 11, 2013, 7:54 pm

Mmm these make ME want a tropical vacay! They look delicious!

• Beth April 15, 2013, 5:28 pm

WOWZA!!! These things are the bombdiggity!!!!! I cheated and used HEB’s mango pico-de-gallo that is made in store. I will definitely make these again soon.
    Bravo!

• dishing up the dirt April 15, 2013, 5:58 pm

This recipe screams summertime! love it!
    dishing up the dirt recently posted…spicy parsnip and coconut soupMy Profile