≡ Menu

Lemon Garlic Hummus

I feel like I might be on a lemon kick lately.

There’s something about the bright yellow color and clean, refreshing scent that makes me feel like they are just perfect for springtime.

Lemon Garlic Hummus (70)

I have also been on a hummus kick for for the past four years and just love how creamy and versatile it is.

You can put it on a sandwich, eat is as a dip, or even use it for salad dressing.

Lemon Garlic Hummus (154)

Okay, it is a little thick for salad dressing. But if you’re like me and forget to pack salad dressing with your lunch, you improvise…with hummus. And lots of violent shaking of your salad container to try and get the hummus to spread out evenly.

I tried lemon flavored hummus for the first time when we went to Swirl on the Square Wine Bar and since then I have had the urge to recreate my own at home.

If you like hummus but have never made it yourself, you should definitely give it a try! Not only is it ridiculously easy to make, but you get a lot more bang for your buck when you make your own. It’s pretty much a win-win situation. And everybody likes to win, right? Open-mouthed smile

Lemon Garlic Hummus

• 2 cans Garbanzo beans (approximately 2 and 1/2 cups) drained and rinsed
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons Tahini
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (optional)
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (+ 1 teaspoon for garnish, if desired)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

Lemon Garlic Hummus (159)

I decided to add lime juice for a little extra kick of citrus and used store bought lime juice but you could also use fresh juice from one lime in place of this.

Lemon Garlic Hummus (3)

Start by rinsing your beans…

Lemon Garlic Hummus (168)

Then place the peeled garlic cloves in your food processor and pulse until finely minced.

Next, toss in half of the beans with 1/4 cup olive oil, two tablespoons of tahini, 3/4 teaspoon salt, lemon zest and 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Pulse until a purée forms. Continue to add the rest of the beans, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and remaining 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Process on high for several minutes until a smooth texture is achieved.

Refrigerate until you are ready to eat and serve with warm naan, pretzels, fresh vegetables or crackers.

Lemon Garlic Hummus (65)

I found that the longer the hummus sat in the refrigerator, the more the citrus flavor intensified. It is a very lemony recipe!

The lemon juice also acts as a natural preservative and allows the hummus to keep for up to a week.

Lemon Garlic Hummus (146)

Hummus is yummus!

Sorry, I had to do it.

I can only contain my inner cheese ball for so long.

Have you ever tried hummus? What is your favorite flavor?

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 4, 2013, 2:28 am

I just realized garbanzo beans are chickpeas. In Australia we just call them chickpeas but until I saw your recipe I always thought they were something else :)

i love hummus, especially with lots and lots of garlic :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…April GoalsMy Profile

• Sarah April 4, 2013, 9:22 am

Yeah, it took me a while to figure out they were the same thing too, haha.

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 4, 2013, 5:23 am

Hummus and pita…yum! I love the bright color of this lemon garlic hummus. Lovely plates!
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes in oatmeal parmesan crustMy Profile

• Stacey Bradley April 4, 2013, 6:32 am

Oh man, Jayme calls hummus…yummus. Ya’ll are both nerds! :) LOVE IT!

• Sarah April 4, 2013, 9:21 am

Haha…maybe that is why that popped into my head! I think you may have told me that before. Jayme is right, it is yummus!! :)

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 4, 2013, 7:21 am

Love hummus! And I love lemons so this recipe is like made for me. haha. I haven’t made hummus in a long time though. :) Beautiful photos. I need to grab some tahini.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…April Goals: Fitness, Health & FoodMy Profile

• Josie April 4, 2013, 7:25 am

Beautiful pictures and I LOVE lemon anything! The more lemon-y, the better! I used to eat and suck lemon wedges as they are as if they’re orange slices when I was a little kid. Yeah, that’s how much I adore lemons. I also love hummus. This is perfect! How could I have not thought about combining lemon flavor with hummus before ever?! You’re a genius Sarah :)
    Josie recently posted…Name Ten Things I Am Good At. Can you?My Profile

• Sarah April 4, 2013, 9:20 am

Oh my, if I sucked on a lemon wedge it would make for some hilarious pictures! I’m getting the shivers thinking about it! Unfortunately, I am not a genius and got the idea from a local wine bar out here. But if you love lemons then you will love this!

• Nicole @ Fruit N Fitness April 4, 2013, 7:26 am

I used to make humus all the time but have only have ever done garlic and roared red pepper. Lemon humus sounds great an perfect for spring!

• huong April 4, 2013, 7:56 am

I love hummus!! I tend to go out and buy hummus wraps but not doubt they are more unhealthy than homemade ones. :) I have not tried your lemon version before but I shall attempt it some day! :)
    huong recently posted…The benefits of matchaMy Profile

• Sarah April 4, 2013, 9:23 am

It is so easy to make, I hope you give it a try! :)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 4, 2013, 9:19 am

My addiction to hummus might be slightly out of control ;). I go through container after container of it on a weekly basis. I really need to start making my own. This lemon version sounds great, and of course the inclusion of garlic is a must!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: April 3, 2013My Profile

• Beth @ Motor City on my Mind April 4, 2013, 11:35 am

I haven’t tried lemon hummus but considering how easy this recipe looks I just might have to go for it! Thanks for sharing :)

• Natalie April 4, 2013, 5:55 pm

Such great photos! I could live off hummus and pita, love it so much. I also like to try out new hummus recipes and this one looks really good!
    Natalie recently posted…Coconut Crusted Bananas with Cinnamon and PecansMy Profile

• Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily April 5, 2013, 12:26 pm

What a lovely idea! I can’t wait to give this a try, I adore hummus!

• Sarah April 6, 2013, 7:42 pm

Thanks Gwen! I’m also a major hummus fan. Hope you like it!

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love May 15, 2013, 12:17 pm

I love hummus and it’s yummus!! ;) I usually make mine with cannellini beans and add a little cumin. Try the cumin, you will live it if you like cumin! :)

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love May 15, 2013, 12:18 pm

PS: meant you will love it!

• Sarah May 15, 2013, 12:57 pm

I figured that was what you meant. Oh, I will have to try it with cumin, thanks for the tip! :)