Lunch at The Butler and The Chef + The Japanese Tea Gardens

Well hello there! How’s it going? Is everybody feeling bright and shiny on this fabulous Monday? Good.

We started our Saturday morning with a short drive to the wonderful city of San Francisco.

IMG_0620

The Farmer’s Market at the ferry building was filled with tons of goodies including these beautiful tulips.

IMG_0621

We perused the market for a short while before making our way over to Pier 3 to stop at The Plant Café.

IMG_0624

We went there specifically for a few smoothies and I had to resist the temptation to get one of their vegan cupcakes. They looked so good!

IMG_0625

IMG_0627

I was strong though and managed to make it through that trying time in my life. Winking smile

I ended up getting a Green Banana which has almond milk, almond butter, banana and kale.

IMG_0631

Brandon opted for the Açaí Berry Protein which has açaí, mango, strawberries, banana, double hemp protein, apple and orange juice.

IMG_0632

Both smoothies were awesome!

Before moving to California, I found a recipe on Eat, Live, Run for a copycat of The Plant Burger that they offer at The Plant Café and had made it several times at home. Of course, after we moved here I absolutely had to try the real thing! We have actually been to Plant Café several times since we have lived here and really enjoy the healthy menu they offer.

With our smoothies in hand we made our way back in the direction of the ferry building towards a restaurant that was about a 2 and 1/2 mile walk from where we were.

IMG_0633

Although the weather had predicted it would be cloudy with some showers, it was actually really nice out with a temperature of about 70°F.

IMG_0634

IMG_0635

IMG_0636

On our walk we passed by AT&T Park, home of the 2012 World Series Champs!

DSC07184

After about a 25 minute walk, we made it the restaurant we were looking for, The Butler and The Chef.

IMG_0645

I am kind of obsessed with French food and had found this place online prior to us going to to San Francisco. Although it appears quaint, it was very small inside and was somewhat cramped for room.

IMG_0653

I ordered a Buckwheat crêpe with egg, mushrooms, and cheese.

IMG_0648

And Brandon got a vegetarian baguette sandwich with peppers, tomato, basil and mozzarella along with a side of cauliflower soup.

IMG_0649

Everything was good, but I wasn’t blown away by it.  From what I read, they are well known for the Croque Monsieur which I can’t try because of the ham. But I would be willing to go back and try their waffles or quiche to see if they could win me over. However, they do give you complimentary homemade chocolate truffles to end your meal with which is a nice touch.

Brandon is a chocolate fiend and ate his before I could take a picture.

IMG_0654

After our meal, we walked another 2 miles back to where we had parked and then took a drive to Golden Gate Park so that we could check out the Cherry Blossoms at the Japanese Tea Gardens.

We found parking along the street for free (score!) and immediately saw a really cool tree on our way to the Tea Gardens.

IMG_0655

There were a few Cherry Blossoms outside of the Gardens that were in bloom and were already starting to lose their flowers.

IMG_0656

As we got closer to the entrance, we saw another one that still looked nice and healthy though.

DSC07194

It was about 4pm by the time we got there (they close at 6pm) and there was still a good little line to get in.

After about a 10 minute wait, we made our way through the entrance for a $7 fee per person.

IMG_0663

Everything was so lush and pretty inside.

IMG_0665

IMG_0664

DSC07217

IMG_0679

DSC07214

IMG_0687

Eventually, we made our way to the tea house and sat down with a cup of hot green Sencha for me and iced green tea for Brandon.

IMG_0713

While we sipped our tea we noticed two adorable mallard ducks sleeping in the garden. See if you can spot them!

IMG_0710

Kind of hard to tell from the picture but they were precious and definitely added to the Zen of the garden.

IMG_0700

IMG_0704

Soon after that, we decided to leave as the rain clouds were rolling in along with a chill in the air.

We said goodbye to the Cherry Blossoms and headed back to the car for our drive home.

IMG_0728

DSC07212

Overall, we had a great day in San Fran and were grateful for the beautiful weather.

Did anybody do anything fun this weekend?

Have you ever seen Cherry Blossoms before?

• Anna @ ApronHearts April 1, 2013, 5:57 am

Nice pictures :) Sounds like you had fun in SF. I would love to see these gardens when I get a chance to visit SF area.
    Anna @ ApronHearts recently posted…oat flour pizza with sun dried tomatoes, baby spinach and goat cheeseMy Profile

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 8:09 am

The tea gardens were so peaceful and pretty, I hope you get a chance to see them one day! :)

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 1, 2013, 8:16 am

Gorgeous pictures! It’s been a while since I’ve been to San Francisco, but I really do love that city. I never visited the tea gardens before, so I’ll have to keep them in mind for my next visit because it looks so beautiful and peaceful there.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. marvelous easter weekend .My Profile

• Beth April 1, 2013, 10:00 am

I love cherry blosson trees! They are so pretty. It looks like you two had a nice weekend together. That garden is beautiful!
    Beth recently posted…Bonita Beach Vacation.My Profile

• Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies April 1, 2013, 10:05 am

soo jealous! I love San Francisco, but I live approximately one billion miles away.
    Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies recently posted…Spicy Cheese Stuffed Whole Wheat RollsMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 1, 2013, 10:42 am

Those vegan cupcakes look fantastic!! I would SO love to get my hands on one (or two!) or those :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…What Vegans Eat: Day 7My Profile

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 12:09 pm

If we had lunch there I would have been all over those things but I had to save room for crepes! They made me want to whip up a homemade vegan cupcake though. :)

• Becky @ Olives n Wine April 1, 2013, 11:17 am

Your day in San Francisco looks like it was amazing! I am glad I am not the only one who wear comfortable clothes (aka: NOT jeans!) when touring a city :) I would love to see the tea gardens, they look lovely!
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…Roasted Asparagus & Melon SaladMy Profile

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 12:05 pm

I haven’t always been good as dressing comfortably but I am getting more wise with my old age! :)

• Sonia the Mexigarian April 1, 2013, 11:23 am

What a fun day! I walked by the Plant when we went to the Alcatraz ferry and wanted to check it out, but we were on a schedule. next time!

I have always wanted to go to the Tea Gardens. I saw a short documentary on California’ Gold about it and it was very lovely.

Go Giants!! haha. sorry, had to do that. :)
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…MIMM EasterMy Profile

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 12:08 pm

The Plant Café is on the pricey side but it is a nice occasional treat! It seems like going to the gardens a few weeks ago would have been the best time to see the cherry blossoms. Hopefully you make it over there one day!

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 1, 2013, 1:17 pm

You were very good to resist those cupcakes :)

I love cherry blossoms. We went to Japan a couple of years ago and was lucky enough to see them.

• Sarah April 2, 2013, 1:21 pm

Wow, that is amazing you got to see them in Japan. I would love to make it there one day to see them!

• Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body April 1, 2013, 4:59 pm

It looks like you had such a great time! I love the outdoors and nature so these pictures were really entertaining to look at :) That buckwheat crepe looks tasty, totally something I know I would enjoy!
    Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted…Why Do You Spend Time Doing the Things You Spend Time Doing?My Profile

• Sarah April 2, 2013, 1:20 pm

Thanks Sarah! If you love the outdoors you would LOVE Northern California. There is so much to do and see out here!

• Ashlee@HisnHers April 2, 2013, 12:38 pm

I love San Fran! Looks like yall had an awesome time. I had no idea they had those gorgeous Tea Gardens there! I’ll have to check them out next time we visit.
    Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted…Whirlwind WeekendMy Profile

• Sarah April 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

The Cherry Blossoms are so pretty there but you have to go in late Feb to early April to see them in bloom.