≡ Menu

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

So, I had originally planned on yesterday’s post being it for the weekend. But I just couldn’t help myself and had to post one more recipe. #addictedtoblogging

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 156

I hope you aren’t getting sick of seeing beans around here because I kind of like them…

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 195

Oh, and veggie burgers.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 141

Yep, I like them too.

I spent about an hour of my weekend in the kitchen making these and got two quick and healthy weeknight dinners plus two lunches from them.

Gosh, that makes me happy. It’s the little things, really. Smile

White Bean, Kale, and Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

• 2 cans white beans (15 ounces each), drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 3/4 cup sweet potato, cooked and removed from skin
  • 1 cup kale, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 egg, beaten (substitute 1/2 cup warm water + 3 tablespoons ground flax for vegan version)
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 014

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 024

Begin by placing one can of drained and rinsed beans in a large bowl.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 028

Then add the kale, cilantro, minced garlic, bell pepper, and onion and stir to combine.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 033

Next, take the other can of drained and rinsed beans and pulse in a food processor until puréed but still slightly chunky.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 040

Add them to the large bowl and stir to combine.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 043

Then add the cooked sweet potato, oat flour, salt & pepper, lime juice, maple syrup and other spices.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 046

Lastly, add the Sriracha sauce along with the beaten egg and stir until all ingredients are well combined.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 048

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 051

I made the mixture into burgers right away and didn’t have any problems but you can also refrigerate the mix to help them hold together better.

Place the panko breadcrumbs into a medium size bowl and set aside.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 054

Take handfuls of the bean mixture and form burger size patties with your hands.

Place the patties, one at a time, into the bowl with the breadcrumbs so that the outside of the burgers are well coated.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 059

To cook them,  preheat the oven to 375°F and bake for 13 minutes on each side. I finished cooking them by sautéing on the stove with olive oil for about one minute on each side but they can be cooked only in the oven or only sautéed if you prefer an easier method.

I was able to get 7 burgers from this recipe and froze about half of them uncooked for a quick weeknight meal. When I am ready to eat them I simply take them out from the freezer and place in the refrigerator the night before, then cook them in the oven at the same temperature for a little bit longer, about 16 minutes on each side.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers 061

Top with creamy avocado or your favorite cheese and they are ready to be savored! Or if you’re feeling really lucky, you can top them with cilantro-lime yogurt sauce.

Not only are these super healthy but they also taste great. The sweet potato gives it just a hint of sweetness while the Sriracha adds a touch of spice.

Mmm…mmm, good.

White Bean, Kale and Sweet Potato Burgers

Okay, now I’m done for the weekend, I promise. Hope you all have a great one and I’ll see you soon!

What is your favorite topping for a burger or veggie burger?

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 29, 2013, 5:49 am

These are gorgeous!! I am absolutely loving all of the color in these burgers. The flavors sound absolutely delicious, too. I love the addition of sriracha sauce :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…What Vegans Eat: Day 4My Profile

• Sarah March 29, 2013, 7:12 am

The sriracha goes so good with the sweet potato!

• Becky March 29, 2013, 6:22 am

Thanks for sharing! I am always looking for new veggie burger recipes to try and the cilantro-lime yogurt sauce also sounds delicious.
    Becky recently posted…DublinMy Profile

• Sarah March 29, 2013, 7:13 am

Thanks Becky! I ran out of plain yogurt otherwise I surely would have put some of that sauce on top. :)

• Sonia the Mexigarian March 29, 2013, 8:03 am

i love burgers, but don’t eat them too often because I always feel like making veggie burgers will take up a lot of time. I really got to try these burgers out. do you freeze them individually in ziploc or saran wrap?
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Happy Birthday Lando!My Profile

• Sarah March 29, 2013, 8:41 am

I actually wrap them in parchment paper and put in a Ziploc freezer container. A Ziploc bag would also work though!

• a farmer in the dell March 29, 2013, 12:02 pm

I am obsessed with these burgers! they sound so stinking good!!! yum

• Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 29, 2013, 4:16 pm

These sound amazing! I like how they are made with white beans instead of the typical black beans.
    Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted…Pie and Pre Race NervesMy Profile

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 29, 2013, 5:43 pm

Yum these look great!! Love the photos too they are very well taken.

Also just so you know I just did my Liebster Blog post from your nomination :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…The Liebster Blog AwardMy Profile

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 8:08 am

Thanks Jan! I am trying to improve my pictures so I appreciate the compliment. :)

• Emma March 30, 2013, 3:47 am

These look delicious, and so healthy! I’ve been looking for a way to use avocado too. x

• Sarah April 1, 2013, 8:08 am

I am addicted to avocado, it’s the best!

• melissa @ my whole food life March 30, 2013, 4:41 am

This looks amazing! I just stumbled upon your blog and I am glad I did. Thanks for the recipe. I am always looking for new veggie burger recipes. I make a sweet potato veggie burger that is the most popular recipe on my blog. I need to try yours next. :)
    melissa @ my whole food life recently posted…Stir Fried QuinoaMy Profile

• Sarah March 30, 2013, 6:59 am

Hi Melissa! I’ll have to check your recipe out too! Thanks. :)

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run April 3, 2013, 7:34 am

these look delicious! my type of burger.

• Melissa April 3, 2013, 1:08 pm

These look absolutely delicious! I’m definitely making them tomorrow. Was just wondering, did you bake them first and then freeze them? Or did you freeze them after you coated them with the bread crumbs? Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Sarah April 3, 2013, 1:35 pm

I froze them right after I coated them with the breadcrumbs and then defrosted them overnight the day before I planned to eat them. I hope you enjoy them! :)

• Sarah April 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

I also did not mention that I used my food processor to chop the kale, onion and cilantro. It helps save time and I think it gives it better texture too.

• Jean LaBonte April 17, 2013, 5:22 pm

Made them, love them! I do add more sweet potato and cilantro and threw some coconut flour in there as well … but basically I followed the recipe and it’s a keeper. I definitely need to get a food processor though as the chopping is tedious. Thanks for sharing this!

• Sarah April 17, 2013, 8:50 pm

Thank you for letting me know you tried them, Jean! More sweet potato is always a good thing and yes, a food processor is kind of a necessity. But I’m glad they turned out good for you!! :)

• Christina June 16, 2013, 4:58 pm

Hey there! I really enjoy this recipe! I am curious I like black beans better, and I can’t have maple syrup, becaus eof my diet. Could I replace the beans, and opt out of the maple syrup? Does it only serve a purpose for flavor, or does the stickiness help bind?

• Sarah June 16, 2013, 7:37 pm

Hi Christina! Absolutely, you can use black beans and nix the maple syrup. I only put it in there to compliment the sweet potato, not to act as a binder, the egg should take care of that. I hope they turn out good for you! :)