Weekend in Wimberley, Texas

When we lived in College Station, we made sure to take a few weekend trips to the Hill Country right outside Austin. It is such a beautiful part of Texas and I highly recommend checking it out if you are ever deep in the heart of Texas! Red heart

Wimberley is a cute little town about 45 minutes southwest of Austin. It is a quiet area that is off the beaten path and is perfect for a relaxing and low-key getaway.

Although they have plenty of nice bed and breakfasts in this area, we chose to rent a small cottage so we could bring Fluffy and Stinky with us. We decided to stay at Cypress Creek Cottages.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 043

They were super cute cottages and even had little Texas shaped stepping stones!

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 044

They also had private hot tubs on the deck to relax in after the sun sets.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 045

And a faux fireplace for Coco to enjoy while she curled up in bed.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 012

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 119

She’s such a lazy girl!

One of the main reasons I chose to go to Wimberley was because I was in need of some swimming hydrating relief from the hot Texas summer.

I was able to find a natural swimming hole in Dripping Springs, Texas which was about a 20 minute drive from the cottage we were staying at. First, we had to stop at a great little bakery in Dripping Springs, Rolling in Thyme & Dough.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 115

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 117

Outside of the bakery is a beautiful little nursery with all sorts of unique items and plants to purchase for your own garden. We were living in a shoebox one bedroom apartment at the time so I didn’t buy anything but I definitely would have if we had a house. They also had delicious and fresh croissants which I would love to go back for!

After a good breakfast, we headed out towards the swimming hole with our lunch packed in a cooler. We parked the car (there is a $10 entrance fee to the park) and hiked about a mile along Pederanales River to find Hamilton Pool.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 020

We went on a Saturday and the small beach was already full by the time we got there.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 027

Next time, I would try and go during a weekday in order to have a little more leg room on the beach.

The view was absolutely gorgeous though and the water was cold and refreshing!

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 023

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 025

There is a walkway behind the rocks that allows you to go all around to the other side as well.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 019

After swimming for a while and enjoying our lunch, we hiked back and headed toward some lavender fields not too far away.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 032

Unfortunately there was a drought the year we were there so there were very few lavender flowers in bloom.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 035

We still had a fun time searching for a few sprigs though!

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 037

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 036

They also have a little shack store where you can buy a few handmade lavender products.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 042

They offered Brandon a job but he respectfully declined. We picked-up a few soaps and body sprays and headed back for showers and dinner.

For dinner we checked-out a restaurant called Trattoria Lisina.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 046

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 053

The restaurant is located right next to a winery and offers a great view of the surrounding vineyards.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 054

When we were there, the vineyard was named Mandola Estate Winery as the restaurant and the vineyard were owned by the Mandola brothers who also own Carrabba’s Italian Grill. Brandon and I thought this was special since we met when we were waiting tables at Carrabba’s while we were both in college. However, the winery is now named Duchman Family Winery.Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 055

It is a great place to relax and enjoy a bottle glass of wine.

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 056

Wimberley, Texas (July 2010) 057

After a delicious dinner, we called it a night. The next day of our adventure in Wimberley will have to wait until next Tuesday!

I hope everyone made it through their Monday okay. I found out that my transmission is officially totaled so I am now trying to decide whether or not to repair my car or put the money towards a new car. My car is 10 years old but I don’t have much faith that it will last long if I put the money into it. I was also hoping to get something a little more family friendly in the next few years anyway, if you know what I mean.

I don’t know…big decision to make!

Where is your favorite weekend getaway?

• Anna @ ApronHeartsa March 19, 2013, 6:31 am

It was fun to read your post. We’re planning to visit and explore Austin and area in the future. I love the place where you took a trip to. That swimming hole looks so cool. I like the name of the bakery. Would love to go there for breakfast. I had no idea there are vineyards in Texas…

• Sarah March 19, 2013, 9:40 am

I know, you wouldn’t think of vineyards in Texas but they have quite a bit in the hill country. It’s like a little piece of California. Austin is a great city- it is really fun to rent bicycles and ride around Lady Bird Lake. And Barton Springs is a fun place to go swimming and people watch. Austin is known for it’s “hippies”.

• Elizabeth @ livingrunningcooking.com March 19, 2013, 6:58 am

Loved this post! My husband and I just found out we are moving to Dallas in June. Makes me ready for Texas!!

• Sarah March 19, 2013, 9:37 am

Oh that is great! Dallas is a nice city with so much to do and SO many great restaurants. My favorite place to eat there is called Rise No.1. They have the most amazing soufflés. I hope you like it there!

• Sonia the Mexigarian March 19, 2013, 10:08 am

I have never been out to Texas but that pool and the little cottages sound like gems out there :) So pretty! Wish we had something like that out here.

Sorry about the car. I’d bit the bullet and try going for a new one. :)

I love going to Santa Cruz or drive up to Arcata area. River rafting, kayaking, hiking and plenty of micro brews. And my little sister. Love going up there.
    Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted…Badger Cove Half Marathon hike Race RecapMy Profile

• Sarah March 19, 2013, 1:14 pm

I think I am surely going to get a new one. I just can’t trust that one again. Thanks for sharing about Santa Cruz and Arcata! I am always interested in new places to explore out here! :)

• Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 19, 2013, 10:42 pm

My mom and stepdad lived in Texas one winter while he was working on a job down there. It was so fun to visit them there over thanksgiving rather than cold Minnesota. My stepdad always tells me in the long run it’s cheaper to get a new car than continue repairing one once it starts having issues. (when I say new I mean used new, I don’t think we have ever had a really new car)
    Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted…WIAW # 10My Profile

• Sarah March 19, 2013, 11:32 pm

Yeah, Texas is a very warm state. Although we actually got a little snow two out of the three years I lived there. I am trying to sell my car now so I can take the money and put it towards something new. It just isn’t worth it to me to fix it.

• Heidi March 26, 2013, 12:58 pm

I love Hamilton Pool! I grew up going to Lake Travis in Austin as a kid and sometimes we would venture over to the pool. It’s so nice to have vineyards in TX!

• Sarah March 26, 2013, 1:13 pm

I never got to go to Lake Travis but I always wanted to. I loved the Hill Country in Texas, it was such a pretty area! And a great place to grow up I’m sure. :)

• Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 22, 2013, 6:40 pm

I live in Fort Worth and I have heard great things about Dripping Springs. Our big vacation is to Disney World this year but we love to take little mini vacations and this would be the PERFECT spot!!!

While I love Fort Worth/Dallas, I secretly hope to move to the Hill Country someday. Austin is such a wonderful city.
    Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted…Weekend Recap: Strawberry PickingMy Profile

• Sarah April 23, 2013, 8:52 am

You’re right, Austin is a great city and there is so much natural beauty surrounding it. I heard Lake Travis is beautiful too so that might be worth a weekend getaway. You are lucky to live in Dallas too though. They have so many great restaurants and shopping!

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love May 10, 2013, 8:26 am

I love Texas! Are you from Texas? I have an Aunt that live in Richardson right outside of Dallas. She loves it there.
    Wanted to ask you about your Theme. I use Wordpress as well and noticed you have the Thesis Framework from DIYthemes. Did you have to pay for your theme? My theme is very boring and I would like to update it. It was a free one. Also, what kind of camera are you shooting with? Great photos!!!

PS: Sorry about your car! My car is 13 years old and still scooting along. It’s a Nissan, and I am going to drive it until it stops! Nothing like not having a car payment! :)

WP Admin

• Sarah May 10, 2013, 8:54 am

I am originally from Florida and lived in Texas for 3 years. Texas is great just really hot!

I blog through wordpress.org which is different than wordpress.com. You then have to purchase the Thesis theme (approx. $80) and install it. I had to Google all sorts of stuff to learn how to do it and it was kind of stressful. Depending on how computer literate you are, you may want to hire a web designer to help. I had my header designed by someone else but the rest I figured out on my own. The camera I used in this post was a Sony point and shoot that is at least 8 years old but my food pictures are shot with a Canon Rebel t3i and 1.8/50mm lens.

Good for your little Nissan hanging on for so long! I totally agree with driving a car until it dies! :)

• Tracey @ Cooking with Love May 10, 2013, 1:18 pm

I’ll have to look into that. So you have to back up your own site and virus protect or no? I bought the book “Food Blogging for Dummies” which is pretty good, but sooo much info. The author is a food blogger too. I wonder if there is much difference in Wordpress.or v/s .com. Thanks for the camera info, I am in the market for upgrading my point and shoot. :)