Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

I admit I don’t usually buy-in to Valentine’s Day very much. It is fun when you are in a new relationship and have the desire to get each other little gifts and plan romantic dates. But once you are together for a while, your expectations lessen some and you are happy just to have a nice dinner together and enjoy a satisfying dessert in your sweatpants on the couch. Sweatpants=sexy

And nothing says love on Valentine’s Day like a cupcake!

cupcakes 154

• 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons molasses

Cream Cheese Frosting

• 8 oz cream cheese ( I used light cream cheese)
  • 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (add more if needed or if you prefer a sweeter icing)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

cupcakes 017

cupcakes 021

Gotta get those Omega 3’s! Even if it is from a cupcake! Winking smile

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare your cupcake pan by greasing or using paper liners.  In one bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sift together.

cupcakes 020

In a separate bowl, combine the egg, pumpkin, canola oil, molasses, brown sugar and vanilla and stir well.

cupcakes 026

cupcakes 032

cupcakes 037

Add the dry ingredients in portions while continuing to stir until a batter has formed.

cupcakes 040

cupcakes 041

Divide batter into cupcake pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool while you prepare the frosting.

cupcakes 047

cupcakes 042

For the frosting, beat together the cream cheese, Earth Balance, powdered sugar and vanilla until a rich, creamy texture has formed.

cupcakes 050

cupcakes 053

I always try to use as little sugar as possible by starting with 1 cup and adding more if needed. You can use 2 cups if you like a sweeter frosting. Then ice the cupcakes and dig in!

cupcakes 112

cupcakes 122

cupcakes 146

These are so moist and have the perfect combination of sweetness and spice. They will be sure to win your Valentine’s heart! In love

And I just had to share this adorable picture with you to get you in a cuddly mood…

a7a6d80f1834fb72565471bbe58848e1

Image Source

What is your favorite kind of cupcake?

• Stacey Bradley February 7, 2013, 7:23 am

I love cupcakes! I’d have to say my favorite are the carrot cake with cream cheese icing! However, these sound DELISH! Do they kinda have the same spicy feel the carrot cake ones have? I’ll definitely be trying this recipe! Thank you my dear :) Hope you and Brandon have a wonderful LOVE day!

• Sarah February 7, 2013, 8:07 am

These are actually the same ones I made for your baby shower but I used sweet potato instead of pumpkin. They are similar to the carrot cake but the molasses changes the flavor a bit.
      Thank you love and I hope you and Jayme do too! :)

• Heather Scardino February 7, 2013, 8:00 am

My favorite are the carrot cake cupcakes with purple icing you made for my baby shower. I’m sure they weren’t as healthy as this recipe, but haven’t found any that could beat them yet. Perhaps Stacey will make this recipe and share with her best friend…..eh hmm..

• Sarah February 7, 2013, 8:04 am

lol…love you!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 7, 2013, 10:19 am

Oooo these look and sound so, so good! I LOVE sweet potatoes and I imagine that these are also probably similar to carrot cake cupcakes, which I adore! The added health benefits is a huge plus, too! That would give me a great excuse to make and eat these! ;)
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: February 6, 2013My Profile

• Anna |Apron Hearts February 7, 2013, 1:48 pm

Those cupcakes look delicious! That’s a great Valentine’s Day treat. This baby-so sweet :)
    Anna |Apron Hearts recently posted…Lamb meatballsMy Profile

• Becky @ Olives n Wine February 7, 2013, 5:45 pm

I love adding sweet potatoes to baked goods. These cupcakes look divine and perfect for Valentine’s Day. And that photo, that baby, THOSE puppies! Cuteness overload :)

• Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 7, 2013, 6:06 pm

These sound really good. I prefer muffins over cupcakes most of the time but I love the addition of pumpkin.
    Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted…Mom’s in town!My Profile

• Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit February 8, 2013, 10:15 am

Yum! These cupcakes look delish. I just found your blog through the 28 day blog challenge. :) I’m excited to see you live in No Cal. My husband and I recently moved up to the Bay Area. It’s great to “know” some other Northern California bloggers.
    Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted…Cutting the (Cable) Cord + A No-TV ChallengeMy Profile

• Sarah February 8, 2013, 11:12 am

Yay! I’m so glad you found me.